info on Rocky Mountain Summit RL

Spikes

Retro Guru
Bought this bike in 1991. I recently did a full restore (threads are Ritchey again now). I never have seen another bike, apart from a Canadian guy that had a similar bike in 18" (mine is 20).

Does anyone have a similar ride?

image_bike8.jpg

These are indeed hard to find. I only ever saw one for real. Nice bike.

Attachments

• 91summitrl.jpg
    91summitrl.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,233
Wow, yet another great looking ride SPikes. Any details of the restore? Respray? The works?

great job spikes!

Is that the original paintwork or respray? Looks fit for a catalogue :D

The bike was used but never abused, so apart form the usual dents in the paintwork the frame was still perfect. I touched up the paint with matching colour and waxed it with Autoglym. The chainstay was covered by a chainstay protector.

All parts and bits were removed and polished. Some parts had to be replaced with NOS parts, like the brakes, shifters and seat. It was pretty hard to find white cables by the way: it all black and grey nowadays!

I does look like it came straight out of the catalog.

Rocky sure had their share of waving in the winds of change. The '90 Summit was completely different. Here's mine:

RMSummitN4.jpg

Re: summit rl

Yeah Ive got 3 of them, ones a daily rider 20 inch the other 2 are 18 inch,Bought the 20 brand new put slicks and fenders commute 70 km daily on her,one 18 I rode for 4 years off road in Canadian rockies the other is garage sale find got her for a 100 Canadian and shes mint!!! The blue and white paint scheme reflects the fact that RM built these for the french province of Quebec they were a Quebec Team Issue and very low numbers I d say one of the rarest RM ever,came withsyncros ,ritchey,shimano XT... Very nimble oval Ritchey tubing I ve ridden nothing but RM since 1986 and have several models but have to admit the RL is the one I love the most...

Re: summit rl

summit rl":216hx7gn said:
Yeah Ive got 3 of them, ones a daily rider 20 inch the other 2 are 18 inch,Bought the 20 brand new put slicks and fenders commute 70 km daily on her,one 18 I rode for 4 years off road in Canadian rockies the other is garage sale find got her for a 100 Canadian and shes mint!!! The blue and white paint scheme reflects the fact that RM built these for the french province of Quebec they were a Quebec Team Issue and very low numbers I d say one of the rarest RM ever,came withsyncros ,ritchey,shimano XT... Very nimble oval Ritchey tubing I ve ridden nothing but RM since 1986 and have several models but have to admit the RL is the one I love the most...
Wow! Three Summits! I have yet to see one out here in Alberta. Gotta love those garage sale pick ups...I'm sure it would fetch a few hundred if it was posted online. Are all 3 of yours the blue/white Summit RLs? You should post your mint find in the Reader's MTBs section! I didn't know they were a Quebec team issue, very cool.

Back