Removing a screw on block without a rim!

jonrock

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'd like to get this block off without damaging the hub!
Does anyone have a tool for this block?
I think the only way is with a vice or the angle grinder route :shock:
Please help!
DSC01140.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

J

You should be able to build up the wheel on the non-drive side and hope this gives enough strength to get it off in the normal way. Otherwise you're going to need a big clamp on the hub.

Jon,

No chain whip required...

take two pieces of 2x4, file out a 1/2 circle the diameter of the hub shell in the narrow aspect so that you make a sandwhich when placed together (wood, hub, wood) with just a bit of space between the wood pieces.

Clamp in a vice.

Use a splined free wheel tool (sachs or old shimano hyperglide) and a large adjustable wrench to spin off the freewheel.

cheers,

rody

As Stevet1 says,
I have only ever managed to rescue this type of mistake by lacing the non drive side flange to a rim - 3 cross and tight! you cant get the torque required to undo it any other way.

rody's wood clamp should give you sufficient friction to remove it,if it isn't seriously seized,give it some penetrating oil love first, it can only help.

Sort of half know what you mean Rody.
So the 'sandwich' is made with the axle ends or the central shell?
J

i have had lots of luck with the " build up the non drive" method.

if you can find some hoshi spokes you can build up the drive side without taking the freewheel off

best of luck

All these methods still rely on the asumption that I can get the tool to undo it?
Not sure if I can get one?Take a look at the pic...I cant see any spline or holes to attach to?
J

Back