kingroon

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Yo..

Kinda similar [in an opposite kinda way] to gradeAfailure's post below..

Does anyone use a threaded steerer in an Ahead capacity; does it work okay I guess is the question.. :? Is it a good idea/practice?

Moreover, will it work with a Ti steerer?

I have a set of Mag 21s which the previous owner had filled the threads with some sort of special metal thread filler and used with an Ahead stem for about 10 years without any problems. So on that basis I'd say it works. I haven't really tried the forks out for any great length of time but the stem does grab it reasuringly well.

As for Ti, no idea but assume that a similar product could be used to fill the threads. I sure in time greater minds than mine will be able to comment though. :)

Yeah I figure it can't be too much of a stretch.. Even with the thread still on it, the ahead stem would grip it sufficiently..?

Don't wanna strip the Ti thread really.. I guess the stem might ruin the thread tho? :? Actually, thinking about it logically, the thread will be more pronounced than the steerer tube below it so I would have to sort this out?

I'm no engineer but this sounds like a bad idea to me, it'd be like having lots of stress risers on the steerer and on the stem. Your top headset race has to run smoothly against the steerer as well. I'm not 100% sure they are exactly the same external diameters either.

I've used a real loooong steerer (1in) with aheadset set & ahead stem. but the steerer was so looong the threaded section was simply cut off the top & wasnt anywhere near the stem or headset contact surfaces. (IE the diameter was the same)
I wouldnt recommend clamping the stem to a threaded section for actual propper non garage queen use.
I'm getting a 1in ahead judy steerer/crown for sale end of the month if anyone needs 1.

Back