RC30s - advice needed

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Just got myself a pair of RC30s off evilBay and need a bit of advice as follows:

1) They have a threadless one inch steerer, I need 1 1/8th. I've got some RC36s in that diameter, can I just use that steerer? Not sure I want to pay the Pace fortune for a bit of tube, would it be possible to get a steerer manufactured?

2) They are currently orange which I'm guessing may look a little garish on the XLM although the finish is in good condition. Any suggestions of what would look classy/understated bar the obvious black, perhaps a dark grey?

Any advice/comments much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that you can use the one from your RC36s.

You'll probably find that the 1" steerer thats in them at the moment is shimmed to fit the crown.

Thanks Russell.

So I just need to remove the steerer and swap it over? Is this as idiot proof as it sounds (probably needs to be)?

I was watching those. I thought about bidding but they quickly went out of my price range!
Glad they went to someone on here.

Yep, even managed to collect them today!

Will go on the Merlin (told that they will make it go like s**t off a shovel, I'll probably go halfway and just go like s**t).

Still unsure about the colour though

you can get 1" to 1 1/8" shims easily enough - about 70p each. I use them quite a bit...

Thanks all, have been advised that it may be an inch crown in which case I can't fit a 1 1/8th steerer - hope this isn't the case!

Are the shims referred to above for the stem - the headset/headtube are 1 1/8th.

Ok, quick update. Have been to the LBS and as noted earlier (thanks Russell) the steerer was shimmed to 1 1/8th.

So it was a very straightforward 5 minute job of getting the old steerer out and popping a brand new 1 1/8th steerer in.

Like a small child at Christmas (although hopefully without any of the associated anti climax/disappointment), can't wait to get home and fit them tonight.

Back