Ti Nitride repair?

mikesnowdon

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm looking at possibly buying a set of forks with damaged Ti Nitride stanchions. I'm told its only a scratch so not a big deal but I would like to see about getting it repaired.

Googling pulled up a couple of sites in the US who offer Ti-Nin plating for motorbike forks but nothing UK based. Can a scratch be repaired or would I need the stanchions re-plated? Any UK company's that do this for a reasonable price?

Find a good local tool maker / machine shop - they will have contacts for getting tools recoated :)

know some one that had motor bike stanchions ti ni coated a few years back, can find out where if you like

if its a scratch through the coating and into the base metal, then there will be no way of making them good as new, unless you polish the scratch out then re-plate them. But doing that may effect the function of the seals.

I thought about that. The replating would need to be exactly the same diameter (to the micron) as stock. If its not too bad (waiting for seller to send a pic) I could just leave it but if its bad I'll not bother with them. It could cost quite a lot to get them re-plated.

Depending on the diameter you can source spare Ti Nitride tubes from Motorcycle spares shops, I know a few folk who have replaced Boxxer stanchions this way......

Did Pace or Goldtech (BETD) not offer this finish on forks / components

Back