Threading unthreaded steerers

gradeAfailure

Senior Retro Guru
Just a little advice - any dos and don'ts when getting a thread cut into a plain steerer tube...? Standard thread for a 1" headset is a 1"x24tpi thread, is it not?

Any Tips???

Yeah, don't do it.

Chris is right, the threadless steerer does have a smaller wall thickness as it is engineered for different attachment forces than a threaded steerer.

Even if you justify it to yourself...

"I'll be the only one riding it" "I won't be riding it hard " "I've got the fork and the taps...what the heck!"

its a bad idea. Failure of the steerer and dissapointment loom in the future.

The original threads are put on by machine. Trying to cut new threads w/o pre-existing threads to gauge against is a bear....tough to get straight, tough to start, and plain tough (sweat labor) to cut by hand.

So sorry for the bad news, but finding the right steerer/fork without compromising your safety is paramount.

rody

Not wishing to contradict Rody. Just adding my experience.

I asked Argos their opinion about threading the fork on my Orange Clockwork, originally A-Head. They said they would take a look, and decided they could, charging me £10 per inch of thread. Did a neat job too!

Maybe the wall thickness was sufficient. I hope so! :LOL:

Note: I did say it was possible, just not prudent.

Sticklegs...I hope it was thick enough too! :LOL:

cheers,

rody

Bloody hell Pete, having seen the speed at which you rattle down hills on that Clockwork, you're confident in Argos work!! :)

Turning threads is a basic engineering technique, it's not that hard to do it by hand but much easier using a lathe.

I wasn't aware of any difference in steerer wall thickness but if Rody says so then I would take heed. However Argos are experienced in these matters and have turned threads on steerers in the past..

You could let your local engineering firm take a look, they'll let you know if it can be done safely.

Latest posts

Back