Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:47 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:49 pm 
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special

i to am looking to modify my rear end of my i drive. how much is that little red thing? something like that would be perfect! the therapy one is crazy expensive! will the red thing fit a 160mm disc? with hayes nine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:18 pm 
Retro Guru

The red A2Z adapter will give you an IS mount, so as long as the caliper your using is designed for 160mm rotor it will fit.

The red A2Z is designed to convert 'Parallel' disk mounts to a 'IS' mount. Does you I-Drive have the Parallel mounting holes?

This is what a Parallel mount looks like:

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35476&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1233328753

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:22 pm 
Retro Guru

also.....

The A2Z adapter is made of steel so you wont be able to weld it to the I-drive rear end as its aluminum. What you could maybe do though is have some kind of alu block welded on with threads to allow the A2Z to be attached.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:28 pm 

by parallel mount do you mean post mount? i got very confused by your picture :lol:

http://www.pricepoint.com/images/TECH_p ... b_type.jpg

my brake is post mount but i have the is adapter for it. i just had a thought. would riveting the adapter stand up to the force of the disc brake or maybe even drilling holes and bolting it on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:34 pm 
Retro Guru

cyfa2809 wrote:
by parallel mount do you mean post mount? i got very confused by your picture :lol:

http://www.pricepoint.com/images/TECH_p ... b_type.jpg

my brake is post mount but i have the is adapter for it. i just had a thought. would riveting the adapter stand up to the force of the disc brake or maybe even drilling holes and bolting it on?

Nope. Paralell mount is quite an obscure mounting standard which is rare these days. I think it was mostly used in the states. If you see the picture I posted; there are 2 vertical mounting bolts through a flange along the bottom side of the caliper. The red A2Z adapter would mount there in place of the caliper allowing a 'IS' mount caliper to be fitted. (IS is the one on the left in your picture).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:44 pm 

oh ok. that is a weird mount! do you know of any post mount to is adapters? so i can do what i said? do you think it would stand up to the forces if it was bolted or riveted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:25 pm 
Retro Guru

cyfa2809 wrote:
oh ok. that is a weird mount! do you know of any post mount to is adapters? so i can do what i said? do you think it would stand up to the forces if it was bolted or riveted?

Yeah, there's loads of 'post to IS' mount adapters around in various sizes. Mostly made of aluminum.

Are you thinking of drilling the seatstay so you can bolt or rivet it to the frame? Probably not advisable as it will weaken the frame. You could have one welded to the seatstay though. It would need to be properly aligned and suit the caliper and disk you are using. Earlier in this thread a guy called Andy posted a PDF giving the measurements for IS frame mounts.

If your frame has post mounts allready just get a suitable caliper of buy an adapter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:27 pm 

yeah i think im going to have to get one welded. do you know the cost of such a thing?and what i would weld to it? what adapter i mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:56 pm 
Retro Guru

cyfa2809 wrote:
yeah i think Im going to have to get one welded. do you know the cost of such a thing?and what i would weld to it? what adapter i mean?

There's a few frame repair companies who can add disk mounts and hose guides. Theres one called Argos Racing I think but try google for 'cycle frame repair/modification'. It wont be cheap though. If you can find the right 'post to is' adapter (alloy one) that will give you the right position for the caliper (see PDF posted by Andy R) you could fabricate something from it. You'd need to strip the anodizing and shape the area that contacts the seatstay to get a good clean fit. You then find a local welder to fit it to the frame. Re-read Andy R's post to see how to correctly position it. You could print the PDF with the dimensions and take that to the welding company so they get it in the right place.

Ive never done anything like this and its at your own risk, maybe worth asking Andy R for his opinion. Only thing is hes away for a while in NZ so you'd have to wait.

Just a thought: Can you get e new rear-end for the I-Drive that already has disk mounts? Theres a few GT fans here who would know. Maybe start a new thread and ask about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:07 pm 

well hopefully someone can come up with one. ive put up a couple threads with no replies and ive now asked a few people with i drives one here. it would be the cheaper option. i have two rear ends and neither have disc mount. one is polished so wouldnt need stripping and the other is blue. i dont want to fork out too much though

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next