Studded Ice Tires

Ken McGinn

Dirt Disciple
Has anyone ever used studded ice tires ( tyres ) I have been messing around with studded ice tires in the frozen Canadian winters for amusement for over 20 years. I wish there were more ice events like downhill or duel or single slalom it would make a great new exciting Olympic sport may be down a Luge or Bobsled run. Here is a pic of me checking out a pair of studds on my Intense M1 with Shimano Airlines Feb 2, 2007 and check out more winter biking history on my web site www.xtremecanada.com if anyone has any Mountain bike history they can send it to ken@xtremecanada.com so that we can presrve the History of Mountain bikes. Cheers Ken McGinn

Anybody remember an article or it may have been on television of mountain bikers with studded tyres actually going down the bobsleigh run at 40+ miles per hour - amazing!!

^^^^ I remember MBUK doing at least one article like that.
I'll try to dig it out and scan it.

I did a race around an ice rink at Bikexpo at Alexandra Palace, London in ... must have been 1991 or 92?

Fantastic fun it was - sliding off around the corners, crashing into the barriers. But if you got it right the studded tyres worked pretty well

I seem to remember that Pete "Captain Crud" Tomkins won in quite some style.

Woody, You may need to use some of those skills this Saturday ..

Why does the Weather always turn sh*tty the days before a race ?

orange71":1m986yg3 said:
Anybody remember an article or it may have been on television of mountain bikers with studded tyres actually going down the bobsleigh run at 40+ miles per hour - amazing!!

Yes! Damn, I wish I hadn't slung all my old mags :roll:

This morning commute was very interesting . :LOL:

I think I am going to take the panaracer Spikes fo this afternoon as tonight might be bad .

Hilts

I don't think they'd have got much snow in Bordon - not as much as the Men of Kent / Kentish Men anyway. Dr Kestonian is in Southampton and says they haven't had any ...

Have you seen this site? Click the "play" button to show animation of how rain is moving across the UK http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Anyway, it's going to be flippin' cold!!

I've got some studded Tioga Farmer Johns in my parents garage - my father bought them in Norway in about 1990.

Haven't looked at them for years but I'm sure they are still there.

I found this artical from Mountain Bike Action from March 1989 regarding studds.

Attachments

• MBA MARCH 1989 STUDDS.jpg
    MBA MARCH 1989 STUDDS.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,782
Back