ROBERTS - WHITE SPIDER COMP - IS THIS FRAME SALVAGABLE?

spline72

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all ,

i have been digging through the garage and various boxes in the loft to find my old bikes , so far i have most of a Dyna-tech Voyager and my Chas Roberts White Spider Comp frame both to start restoring.

My old Chas Roberts White Spider Comp which used to be my race bike many moons ago only got retired when i was involved in a hit and run accident.

The frame has a largeish dent in the down tube and a bike shop made a bad job of trying to remove the bottom bracket and stripped the inside surface of it.

I was wondering if anyone has gone to the efforts of trying to revive a frame in such a state?

Your comments and experiences would be grateful.

Cheers,

Dean. :D

P.S. if your interested i can also post pics of the Dyna-tech.

Attachments

• FRONT OF FRAME SMALL.jpg
    FRONT OF FRAME SMALL.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 2,911
  • BOTTOM BRACKER JUNCTION SMALL.jpg
    BOTTOM BRACKER JUNCTION SMALL.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 2,912
  • FRAME SIDE SMALL.jpg
    FRAME SIDE SMALL.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 2,911
Lovely - either restore it or send it to me to restore :D

I've just taken a frame with two similar-sized dents to Argos and they've said they're non-structural and that they can fill them for £8 each and paint over the top. I think they'd also be able to remove that BB - with the aid of a heat gun. In fact you could probably do that yourself.

deffo worth saving. dent doesnt look so bad, well I've seen a LOT worse! get it filled & resprayed if it bothers you.
gettin the BB out will be stressful, but its do-able... how did the bikeshop make such a mess of it?

I dont live/work that far from Chas Roberts as i Live near London and work in South London so croydon is not that far from me and i could then get it resprayed and have original decals on it.

I am not sure if it is worth having the downtube/bottom bracket replaced and if this is an option that could be considered.

I am a bit worried about the frame alignment as i was hospitalised after the accident with torn ligaments in my legs so the frame must have taken some punishment.

I have such fond memories of this bike and havent been albe to part with it after all these years and would love to tear around on it for old times sake.

pic,s of the dyna tech plz can you not take the frame back to chas,s and get them to check the alinement

I totally doubt that either the BB shell or downtube would need to be replaced. most decent bike shops have an alignment tool that can quickly tell if you're frames "off". do that first.

well that sounds reasuring, thanks scant for the input and for the quick responses.

I will see if i can find a pic of the bike when it was new and before the crash, i know i have it somewhere it was built up wit Pace RC35 AB foks , mostly XT components trimmed off with USE flat bar/bar ends( the one which bolted through the bar.I had my Dad make me some custom CNC suspension hubs which i still have and laced up snowflake which are looking like going on the Dyna-tech at the moment.

THWANG-666 Shall i start a new thread for the dyna-tech or just add it to this one?

well i hope both bike will be on the trails in the not to distant future , looking forward to showing them off here :D

spline72":20dfzpzn said:
I was wondering if anyone has gone to the efforts of trying to revive a frame in such a state?

Some of my single speeding mates would race that frame as is.

Rather than repaint I'd just give it a touch up here and there, maybe a bit of polish and put some bits on it and go from there.

The BB shouldn't be too much of a problem to remove, just requires a bit of time and care.

Worth remembering that the White Spider comp was made of such thin tubing that Chas only recommended it being stripped and resprayed 3 times. With that in mind that tube dent may be a bit more 'structural' than you think! Worth having a word with Chas first before filling and respraying!

curlys got a 2in across dent in the downtube of his yeti arc & thats like a lb lighter frame! arcs still going strong tho :)

webbys got probs the best dent I've seen in the seatstay of his yo ;)

Back