1 x 9 Setup - Show us yours :-)

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So okay then folks who uses a 1 x 9 or similar set up?

1 x 6
1 x 7 etc

Is it:

1) Useful
2) A Fad
3) Weight saving

Etc

Does an outer bashguard suffice is do you still need a chain keeper like Pauls etc.

Keen to know your thoughts......

Cheers,

Mark

The Wicked is set up 1X7

3789025959_35ee2de0a4_b.jpg

3789836260_11d2fc5ef2_b.jpg

Why? Probably to be a bit different, don't like the aesthetics of a front shifter, never really move out the middle ring. Most of the riding I do we're stopping for a natter all the time, never really horsing on the climbs and tbh you don't miss the tall gears that much.

Also have a modern Salsa ala carte which is 1X9.

Thats lovely Kaiser....apart from the forks which are pug ugly...sell them to me......drip drip drip drip :LOL:

Not very good photo of my 1 x 9er. You all know I have been running SS for a while but I was getting bored with the lack of hill climbing ability. This seems a good compromise....in fact. I'm really enjoying it.
Get very :evil: sometimes when I run out of gears on a straight and get 'beaten' by a chinese tool ...but thats what the
Profanisaurus is for I guess...
http://www.milkinfirst.com/dictionary/profanisaurus.htm

Ebaystuff1663.jpg

So, would a short cage derailleur be fine even if you're running a 32 or 34t cog in the back?

been doing the 9speed thing on and off for years . i havnt had a front mech since about 97

used to snap 9 speed chains a lot so stopped doing it , that and i only ever used 3 of the available sprockets at the rear with a 44t ring anyway . couldnt afford an mrp back then so used a dmr chaincage instead

ill never have more than 1 chainring at a time . ill be using 8 speed chains from now on though ( although i wont be buying the same as the one i snapped last week again )

didnt realise it was a fad . i guess someone should tell all the downhillers , dirt jumpers , 4x racers , bsx and slalom guys

Just converted my Charge Duster to 1x9 in the quest to loose a bit of weight. I've got a Gamut bashguard (thin) on the outside with a Middleburn SS 34tooth ring in the middle. I've made a chain guide on the inner from a DMR chain cage clamp with a headset cap on the end of the bolt...light and very simple.

I've yet to see how it works on really rough stuff but the weight saving is noticable and the bike looks very minimal. Lack of stuff in that area also has to be a good thing in terms of mud clearance etc.

Oh yeah, also forgot to mention it's also good for getting you spinning the gears more which we all know is more efficient than pushing big ones :D

I ride a 1x8 commuter every day come rain/shine/snow... My route to work is very lumpy, country lanes and bridle paths. I got fed up with having to stop and put the chain back on all the time. I tried running a big bash guard which reduced it happening but it still happened too often. I've put a front mech on which works a treat at holding the chain in place. Looks crap though as it's not connected to anything. I don't need a lower gear, what I ride does the job. I also can't be bothered with the faff of more stuff to clean/adjust/lubricate/otherwise maintain, it's just a commuter bike to get me from A to B with bit of a smile on my chops.

In terms of gearing I run 36T up front with an 11-28 on the back. The steep hill is a challenge in the mornings but it does set you up for the day :D

ive used a lot 1x7´s 8´8 and some 7´s.

usually with dmr or truvativ chainguide,although id like to get my hands on some older guides.

its reliable,simple,effective,nice looking,compared to many front chainring-setups IMO.

but,nothing in this world beats singlespeeds and fixed gears. :LOL:

Honestly, if you want gears in a smallish range, for almost everything you'll be better served by some kind of internally geared hub.

Back