New vs Retro Dilemma

Kestonian

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok, here's my dilemma. I've saved up some cash and was about to buy a new bike. I was looking at a Moots Riggor Mootis or a Litespeed Niota Ti. Both dream bikes, way better than I need, but if I let that guide my purchase I'd be trotting around on a Raleigh Mustang.

Then I realised that for that money, I could get a decent stable of retro steeds that would cover all the bases (rigid, e-stay, full bounce, maybe a ti hardtail).

I've got two Yeti FROs (1988ish and 1994ish). I've never owned a full-susser. I race XC and adventure races, but don't get out a great deal outside of races.

What would you do?

Woody
ps. I'm a bike snob :)

get a decent stable of retro steeds

:D

Justify it by telling yourself that they won't depreciate, that's what I do with cars!

It'll be so much more fun to search out 3 or 4 retro rides too.

Retro.

A good Ti hard tail will last forever, build it up with new bits for racing or completely retro for leisure riding!

Why do you think I own a Pace RC200, it was that or a Genesis Altitude 2.0. No contest ;)

Still may get the Genesis though! :roll:

If you can afford the Moots, i'd go for it. It'll be retro eventually and still look amazing :)

go with the Moots, if you have thought this far, the moneys already spent!

Lovely bikes :D

As much as I hate to say it, if you race XC and compete in adventure races the extra comfort and performance afforded by a modern mid travel FS bike with disc brakes will be worth it.

I bought a Y-bb seven years ago...lifetime guarantee and it is still worth loads of dosh. If you think of the commuter money I saved by ridding the bike to work the Moots was almost for free.

I'd go retro... I've spent the same money on 7 bikes that fulfill my every requirement for the price of 1 new one that might not... plus it was fun putting them together and you can look out new bargains all the time to hang on them... but then I like old cars and old houses for similar reasons...(not that I collect them :D) , but they are organic and can be changed with your moods and at relative low cost. If you finally decide one of them is not for you swap it out and get another without losing the other 6!

I 2nd that

On the other hand I find small builders who build with blood, sweat and tears should also be able to make a living

Personally to balance would be in favour of the classics. I am stuck in mid nineties. No clue what to build a nice nowadays frame with.

- Melvin

Back