road mechs for mtb's

ti-fat-man

Senior Retro Guru
getting tired of looking for a smart xtr900 rear mech, Q. has anyone done a dura ace rear mech fitment before? would like it to work, but as for a garage queen build, out and out performance not really an issue. cheers al.

Not a problem but you'll need to go for the longest mech and closest cassette ratio possible to not kill it. Otherwise, like XTR, it's an immortal mech ( that needs new jockey wheels annually! :LOL: ).

In downhill and 4x every other rider has a racederailleur mounted.
In these sports you want a shortcage and I think it started out as
race mech being a cheap alternative (MTB shortcages only available
in high end models) and they come slightly shorter than XTR.
But now many ride around with dura-ace so think it has become a
cult now, mounting a race mech.
First question on a Freeride forum when SRAM force and rival came
out was whether they would work with the X.O X9 X7 shifters. even
though the X9 short has the same lenght. (btw: answer = no)

I keep riding with a 11-30 cassette and a medium or short cage MTB
mech though, a race cassette is to tight for me.

oh but as a response :oops: Yes no problem

Alan,

A very trick build that I like to use is the Mavic Road derailleur...totally rebuildable, parts still available, and a chic black and silver that goes well with any part spec.

They can be found relatively inexpensive on Ebay as well...

cheers,

rody

Careful with cable pull, pre 1991 Dura Ace used a slightly different mech spacing / cable pull. Other than that road mech's work fine :D

i'm using an old ultegra (6400...8spd?) with a 11-28 cassette and it works wonderfully. front is fixed 36t.

My retro bike runs a 6-speed Ultegra mech - I use this with a 12-24 cassette and 28-38-46 rings. Not many low gears but my theory was that for racing if you needed a lower gear you'd be better off running with the bike.

I also "made" a hybrid - XT mech with Ultegra cage - looks great, works great.

ti-fat-man":3bx3pv5b said:
getting tired of looking for a smart xtr900 rear mech, Q. has anyone done a dura ace rear mech fitment before? would like it to work, but as for a garage queen build, out and out performance not really an issue. cheers al.

I have just bought a Dura Ace (RD-7402) rear mech to slap on the Zaskar and I'm planning on doing the conversion some time this week. In theory the Dura Ace rear mech can only handle a 26t max rear sprocket whereas Ultegra and others could cope with a 28t.I'm currently running 11-28 on the back and 24-36-42 on the front but I will be changing this about to give the mech a fighting chance!

I'll let you know how it goes.

road mechs work fine!!

As I said in Russels thread, used to use 105 all the time for racing as they were cheap, fast and light :D Just be more careful with which gears you use and chain length.

Though I did succomb to M900 pimp factor after a while :oops:

Back