Help: source for singlespeed steel dropouts (for brazing on)

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I am aware of Ceeway, but are there any other sources for some singlespeed dropouts?

Anything I need to know in terms of sizing, type of steel etc.?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
how would it work when I am replacing dropouts like these though which would appear to be pushed onto the chain/seat stay ends?

spa0474i.jpg

at a guess they will be removed and it will be left with 2 open ended tubes . they would get slotted and the dropouts put in and braze used to fill and smooth/blend in around

Pauls and Surly available here.

Maybe the Surly type would be more suitable for your application as they have a larger area to braze to.

Or if you're not going to do the work yourself, and therefore would have to pay for labour in adddition to the cost of the dropouts, you might consider this instead.

I was looking at the Surly ones and wondering where they get their strength from as there are no inserts as such? Would you just weld the tube ends to the hood of the dropout?

perry":zasr4qn0 said:
at a guess they will be removed and it will be left with 2 open ended tubes . they would get slotted and the dropouts put in and braze used to fill and smooth/blend in around

that makes sense - in my complete ignorance of these things forgot you could actually *add* slots :roll: :LOL:

orange71":2h9b1ld2 said:
I was looking at the Surly ones and wondering where they get their strength from as there are no inserts as such? Would you just weld the tube ends to the hood of the dropout?

Yes, the tubes are welded (or brazed) directly to the hooded section on the dropout.
Have a look at a photo of the Karate Monkey and you'll see how it's configured.

The only thing is that retrofitting proprietry track ends to an existing frame isn't always that straightforward, as the existing tubes might end up not quite in the right place and need cold setting to suit, especially if you want to avoid changing the wheelbase excessively.
It might be easier to make some track ends from scratch from some 6mm 4130 plate.
That's why I'm a big fan of EBB conversions - you can keep a QD rear wheel, disc brake setup is easier, wheel removal is as easy as it gets and, if you keep the cable stops and mech hanger, you can always go back to gears (if you really want to...)

Drop out retros are not difficult, but do take time and a high degree of accuracy to complete correctly.

The dropouts you have are not difficult to remove...after stripping off the paint, place the frame in a stand with the headtube pointed toward the ceiling. Attach a heavy set of vice grips to the dropout and begin heating with a oxy/acet torch evenly around the piece...the dropout will fall off once the brass is liquid.

The tube stubs will then need to be cut and slotted to fit the new drops, which need to be held in position parallel and in phase. A fixture makes this much easier, but plenty of time, patience, and ingenuity can suffice.

Insure that the slots form a tight fit and then clean, flux, and braze.

I like to use these drops from Paragon Machine works, as they have the horizontal slot but still allow for a derailleur if you desire.

cheers,

rody

Attachments

• paragon drop.jpg
    paragon drop.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,021
Back