Ever get annoyed at modern bike riders?

tee-one

Senior Retro Guru
Im out quite regularly on my bikes, and i dont ride anything newer than 1990 :)

but just the other day i popped into asdas after a hack up the woods on my rigid raleigh... its a fairly nice bike. rides well, looks tidy and was pretty muddy when i parked up...
Picture543.jpg

but on coming out i overheard to guys saying why the fu*k would you want a bike without suspension.. and the other guy saying fu*k are they centrepulls... generally just acting like riding an old rigid is a bit stupid... i come round the wall to where its parked up and see they have fairly new cove and gt's which to me look a bit soft haha... all i could think was damn they need to grow some balls and stop relying on supension... anyone else have the whole looking down there nose scenario from other riders while out on the trail?

Who gives a **** what they think, they are just sheep anyway. Personally I love taking something like the Schwinn Klunker to Dalby. The smug grins and 'knowing' glaces you see in the car park are soon reversed out on the trail when a bunch of guys on old bikes pass them. At this point I like to quickly glance at their bikes then up at their faces and give em a quick 'alright mate' whilst barely containing a grin before disapearing off. It couldn't be any more effective if you kicked them in the nuts.

Don't let it bother you mate. Old bikes are cool.

Si

haha that is kinda the way of i do it lol.... tend to just fly past em realy.. somtimes take a quick glance at em ;) it doesnt bother me as such, just kinda annoys me how close minded they are? where do they think there machines evolved from? :p

retrowagen1234":pk58mt06 said:
just kinda annoys me how close minded they are? where do they think there machines evolved from? :p

Motorbikes probably- someone along the line must have removed the engine and invented the Mountain Bike sometime around 1998.

That said, I few young lads with Duran Duran haircuts and skinny jeans ( must be cool to look a cock again? ) have asked asked me if my bike is an Excelsior. I guess thanks to Billy Savage's excellent film Klunkers (£12.99 from all good stores, hint hint) a few young uns are getting an education into the origins of the sport.

Si

A keen MTB'er at work commented on my Team Attitude...what sort of bike is it?
'It looks like a MTB but it isnt' he said
He figured it wasnt a MTB because it had no suspension!

I guess if its looked down on then its less likely to be stolen?
J

I can see where you're coming from RetroWagon. But I'm all for modern bikes and "Relying" on suspension, if it means I can ride further, faster and more comfortably over all sorts of terrain :)

But I also can't stand people who look down their nose just because I may not have the latest bit of kit... 10+ years of downhill riding and racing more than makes up for it though when you sail past people on their £5,000 Scott Ransoms (I don't know why, but they seem to be the worst for it!) on a little 12.5" GT Zaskar from '96. It's a very satisfying feeling!

And do you know what really grinds my gears? (Yes, I'm a big Family Guy fan, thanks to Peter Griffin for that little quote:)).... People who have amazingly expensive bikes (a la Ransom, mentioned above) and who just can't ride them! If you're going to spend that much on a bike, learn to ride it properly so you don't look like a Berk!!

OK, mini rant over. I'm going for a spin :D

I am old-enough to have been weened on non-sus MTBs and so learnt how to ride the 'nadgery' properly, shifting body-weight, standing on the pedals and holding the grips lightly while the machine moves-around underneath you over-the-rough. That was half the fun, leaning to ride like that, learning the 'technique'. The 'Unsprung Dirt Technique' in-fact :D

Nowadays (and due to my age) my ONLY concession to sus is a Girvin Flex-stem, and that's because or local roads have potholes so-deep I'm sure I can see Australia in the bottom of them.

I have to admit I ride a tad more modern mid-90`s but normally get nice comments, last time at forest of dean the downhill crew loved the RTS wanting to pick it up and bounce on it .... It was funny hearing there comments!!

Lets be honest its a lovely bike you have and you shouldnt give a toss what anyone thinks esp those that "Need" there bounce to make it up them curbs on the way to the shops!! :LOL:

Back