Help to I.D. this frame...

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
You may have noticed from numerous posts that i have what i thought was a kona lava dome. Well, now i'm not so sure. I can't find record of Lava Dome's ever being this colour and it has a mix of components/decals from differant years. Also the seat post is 26.4mm and fits the frame perfectly, i thought all Kona's were 27.0?

The frame number is F1073693 and it also has 2I 10 stamped on the BB shell.

Any ideas? Picture:

DSC00451.jpg

I see what you mean - the forks and stem don't match the stickers - parts are pre '93 and decals are post '93.

Are you wondering if it's a Kona, or wondering which Kona it is?

From the seatstay rackmounts and the colour/decals on the stem/forks, I'd say it was either a '91 or '92 Lava Dome that's been resprayed and had newer decals fitted... If you look at the catalogues on konaretro.com it can't be a '93 as that didn't have seatstay rackmounts, and the '90 has twin eyelets on the dropouts whereas yours only has one. Plus the stem and forks are obviously original, and coincide with the '91/'92 colour scheme. It may well not be a Lava Dome, but it is definitely a Kona - evidenced by the single top-tube cable stop and the extended seat tube with forward-facing clamp slot.

Hope that sets your mind slightly more at ease!

i'm thinking it's a '91 now... maybe.

as you say the mounts on the seat stays tie up and the headset/stem/forks are '91.

what i really need to find is someone with a '91/'92 to confirm the measurements on the seat tube, they're just as odd size :?:

it's looking a bit better now as i spent the weekend cleaning/stripping/re-greasing hubs, bearing, headsets etc:

DSC00455.jpg

still toying with how retro-authentic to make it and whether to go single-speed :cool:

Back