DeKerf to continue building frames

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Just thought I'd share with those that might be interested, the email I just got explaining that Chris DeKerf has decided to not shut up shop after announcing that he would be doing so right about now, and will continue to build frames for some time yet, expanding the line up and gaining greater exposure etc.

Thought you might like to know if you hadn't heard already.

Obviously a great way of stock clearing a bunch of frames that have been hanging around the warehouse for a bit, 'quick, we're shutting shop, buy a bit of MTB history!', 'actually we're not now, but thanks for the capital that has allowed us to invest in a new line up for 07/08'.

Probably wouldn't work so well if Saracen did it mind!

In talking with Chris Dekerf, I think he was feeling genuinely dejected back in autumn. He had about 50 tube sets left, was going to make them and call it a game. It sounded like the only ones making any money off the bikes were the bike dealers. They were not doing their part by, say, keeping a couple of frames on the floor to tantalise potential customers.

LBS's in these parts seem to be easily swayed to thinking along the lines of whatever the big companies' reps are pumping, which is usually gimmicky (hell, even Rocky Mtn's stuff sucks since they were taken over by corporate interests). I mentioned to a salesman in a shop that I was having a Dekerf built, he suggested that they are art and should be hung on a wall and that the lighter carbon and aluminum bikes today are much better performing. Have to say I disagree there. I'd rather ride something lively than something flat. I hope there is a pendulum swinging back somewheres nearer sanity and further from lunacy.

Dekerf has chosen to take a more direct-to-customer approach as he was finding he enjoyed the enthusiasm people were showing for the product. I told him there is a fairly large group of us freeks out here, and that he has to market it appropriately. The internet is probably a much better avenue of approach.

I finally got mine built up and took it for a ride yesterday, it's way way skookum, dudes.

I think it might be a case of just riding, no pun intended, out the flat spot, there will always be a market for bikes like the DeKerf, I for one never wanted a mainstream bike, I doubt that most people on this site would either.

For me, bikes should be designed for a purpose, for a certain feel even and not for the most cost effective way to make a buck.

It was the likes of Mantis, Fat Chance, Boulder, DeKerf, AMP, Manitou (before Answer) and all the other small guys that made mountain bikes great.

sunchaser":1um0j9bv said:
You gonna post a pic of your new school Dekerf ?

Hopefully I have sufficient old school content to satisfy the site's reqs. :)
I'll put something up in the bikes section when I get a couple of good shots.
Composition is not my strong suit. Plus, I got the bike dirty already. :roll:

Back