replacing elastomer shock for an obscure fork

blistow

Retro Newbie
Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been running a Cannondale for 12yrs or so with a very obscure leading link fork naming itself a Quasar Linx Evolution.

The fork has a single elastomer shock mounted at the front which has suddenly gone rock solid.

My question is this - does anyone know of anywhere that could supply or custom manufacture a replacement shock? I really, really don't want to junk the fork but I've never seen it anywhere else nor is there any mention of it on the net.

The shock dimensions are: Length - 135mm

Diameter - 47mm

Hole for spindle - 20mm approx

Any info that can lead to its resurrection would be massively appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 2,462
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,462
the closest i can get to those dimensions are ,

50mm OD

17mm ID

length not an issue

A mate of mine had some on his Clockwork, about 93, the dropout folded over riding off a kerb :shock:

Were quickly replaced with manitou's.

Well, it has to be said they're not the most amazingly effective forks on earth but they get the job done and the head tube is so heaving with shims, spacers and whatever else was thrown in to make it fit that I'd be a bit wary of trying to find something to replace it.

Slim, thanks hugely for the offer. It definitely has to be worth a try so I'll drop you a PM.

If anyone's interested I'll stick a pic up when it's back together but it's not a pretty sight...

To be honest I ain't got a clue. I bought it in '95 stripped of paint and I never quite got round to doing anything about it. I don't think there's literally an original component on it. It came with Onza brakes, Middleburn crank, FIR rims and Hope hubs.

The whole machine's now a bit of a disgrace and browsing this site has made my mouth water as well as bringing on some serious guilt. Think it's time it was given some TLC.

Righto, so it's stripped aluminium as opposed to a silver paint job?

This site will do that to you mate, I used to live a contemporary lifestyle, now I'm more like Gary Sparrow in Goodnight SweetHeart, chipping off back to the Mid-Nineties whenever I can :LOL:

Good to have you here, looking forward to seing the progress on the 'Dale!

Whereabouts on Exmoor are you? A coupla Devonians on here, I used to go to University down in Exeter so know the area quite well..

Yup, it's stripped aluminium.

Haven't stopped browsing here for about six solid hours. Memories and long-forgtten lusts are coming back with a vengeance.

I'm in Dulverton, just on the bottom of the moors. Loads of juicy biking to be had around here. I've got an even more retro Trek 850 Antelope that might need to be dusted down to tide me over.

Back