Alu stem siezed in steel fork tube.

Tnega

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Whats the best way to get an alu quil out of a steel fork tube?
Its a mates and its been stuck for years??????

Soak it, then soak it some more with plus gas or WD40 for ages then use the appliance of science - brute force and ignorance.

Okies.
Next question, anyone know if wd40 will melt plasticine?
Thinking make a plasticine cup around the headstem and fill with wd.

Edit: Dont worry, I'll find out tomoz and post back. ;)

Try coca cola,ive heard that does some good at penetrating through.

first take a can of coke,pour a 1/3 into a small glass,then add 1-3 measures of vodka.
Drink.
Block up the stem hole with something so it wont leak then turn the bike upside down and pour the remainder of the coke can into the upturned steerer.

Works best if the vodka has been in the freezer for 20 minutes ;)

Blow torch, heat the steerer. Ali and steel expand at different rates, I think ali expands quicker meaning it will initially get 'more' stuck, but it also cools and gets smaller much quicker at which point it should release, but don't quote me

Re: .

Grannygrinder":1vjp7mvr said:
Blow torch, heat the steerer. Ali and steel expand at different rates, I think ali expands quicker meaning it will initially get 'more' stuck, but it also cools and gets smaller much quicker at which point it should release, but don't quote me

Um, normally said fork is still in the frame, you have no acceess to the steerer to heat it

any other ideas, I have the same prob and none of the above have worked

Similar to what granny grinder says. This is how i got the one out of my holdsworth the other week.

You will need:
1 vice
1 large adjustable spanner
1 blow torch
1 jug of cold water
1 long old screwdriver
1 big hammer

How I did it:
1. remover the expander bolt and cut the head of the stem off above the headset so you can remove the fork if still fitted. Cut it approx 20-30mm above top lock nut then remove the forks.
2. put the expander bolt back in the cut stem and hit it with yer hammer to move it from the stem.
3. heat the stem with the blow torch then clamp it in the vice and squeeze it as flat as you can. You will then be able to fit yer adj spanner on these flats.
4. heat the stem and steerer with the blowtorch. Get it as hot as you can, then pour cold water carefully on the stem (alloy) part.
5. clamp yer forks in the vice sideways using the crown. Fit yer adjustable spanner to the flats you crushed on the stem and use some force the break it free.
You may need to do it a couple of times before it comes free.
6. Once it feels like it moving heat it again and pour the water then turn the fork upside down and insert the long screwdriver down the steerer tube and give it a good whack with the hammer.
In theory should now come out. Mine did.

The fork threads needed a good clean afterwards but it is all fine now.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Mike.

All excellent scientific principles at work here. :D
Think I'' try an abberation of a couple of earlier suggestions first.
Glass, single ice cube, large shot of Glenfiddich.

What was the question again?

Back