Also found this recently
• Kona is founded by Dan Gerhard & Jacob Heilbron, with offices opening in Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, BC. First bicycles are introduced as Cascade, but changed later in the year to Kona. Joe Murray is the first bike designer/product manager.
• First race team consists of Joe Murray and Dave Turner. Joe is inducted into the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame.
• Distributors in England, France & Sweden bring Kona to Europe.
• Kona introduces the first set of front/rear MTB tires: Maximum/Reaction designed by Joe Murray. Other MTB tire sets introduced include Break/Enter, Equilibrium/Propulsion and Lumpy/Gravy.
• Grassroots racing program introduced in October. More than 3,000 riders have raced for Kona since the inception of the program.
• Project Two, the first straight leg MTB production fork is introduced. Throughout the Kona range today, there are more than 10 versions of this fork produced for 26”, 29” and 700c wheel mountain and asphalt bikes.
• Ex-roadie Bruce Spicer (now Brodie) races on the Kona Factory MTB team.