Need some advice please... Chains and drivetrains.

RTSclassic

Geoff Capes
Morning Guys

I am not a happy camper this morning chain snapped on the way to work and dumped me on the road im looking a lot like I have done 10 rounds with rocky :x So I need to replace the chain, do I also need to swap the cassette etc? Also I would like to make use of a Sram powerlink ( I think this may have been one of my repairs gone pear shaped :oops:) will this work with a Shimano Chain? Advice on the best chain would also be appreciated I really would like to avoid a repeat performance! For the record I am running a 7 speed set up.

Thanks guys

Mark.

I use Sram powerlink 9 speed chains with Shimano. Great chains. get well quick.

Oh and how long has the chain been with casstte?? If too long will need replacing

My (seemingly crappy) Shimano LX chain snapped on me grinding up a hill with Mr Kawasaki recently... I suffered two swollen knees (after they hit the floor) and when the handlebar end went into my chest some cartilage moved away from my ribs, creating a semi-permanent 'new knuckle' :evil:

Run a sram chain ( much better than shimano imo ).

carry a spare power link to get you home if the worst happens.

if your cassette and/or rings are worn then they'll need replacing also.

hope you mend well.

;]

ekiborter":3w2uz7zx said:
Run a sram chain ( much better than shimano imo ).

carry a spare power link to get you home if the worst happens.

if your cassette and/or rings are worn then they'll need replacing also.

hope you mend well.

;]

+1

Just run Sram chains instead of Shimano....they make shite chains (snapped 2 in one week once!)

Personally,ive never snapped a chain.Might find its got to do with straining at the pedals instead of using your gears proper like.

OK,nuff said,thats me added my tuppence worth

BITD i snapped a chain on an Offroad Proflex and had to walk seven miles home, i never leave home without a chaintool now, even carry a couple of spare links for the single speed as the chain is a neat fit.

Check how worn your chain is with Park chain wear tool. This will determin if you need to replace cassette too.

I use KMC chains. IMO better than shimano.

Back