Ballistic XL-450 forks. Worth putting on my bike?

stevali

Retro Newbie
Being give these forks. Thinking of sticking them on my Hardrock sport 93. Is it worth bothering?

As long as they are fully serviced and actually work then they won't be a bad match for a Hardrock. But if they are old/tired and haven't been serviced in a while then don't bother unless you are going to strip them down fully - there's nothing more pointless than adding a couple of pounds to a bike with no benefit!

I have 2 sets of Ballistic 450A's which I've fitted to my old bikes. Though theyre never going to be great they do make a difference and look quite good. Theyre also extremely simple, a long elastomer beneath each topcap, no springs, 40mm travel. Thus extremely simple to service and would suit a hardrock.

I say go for it but if they're not for you I'd be interested.

Cheers

Thanks for the response. I wouldnt mind giving them a service myself as they do seem quite a bit stiff. Any pointers on how? would be most gratefull.

OK I know not if XL450's and 450A's are the same but my forks are polished alloy, bolted together with a canti hanger built into the fork bridge.

Removal of dust caps shows an adjuster that you rotate left or right to adjust rebound via a hex key. Unscrew this hex key adjuster and the elastomer is beneath, long transparent blue elastomer with two white plastic holders at either end. Beneath elastomer is the hex screw that stops sliders coming out of the legs, you'll need a long hex key possibly on a socket set extension to reach it. No springs exist as far as I'm aware, I've never stripped them completely.Grease all the sliding bits and reassemble.

I also have a sprung Ballistic fork, broadly the same as the 450's but the spring lives at the top of the sliders held in with a spring clip.

Personally I think Ballistic forks are rather good as basic Taiwanese forks go, but have never been popular or common in the UK market. They were more common in the USA, we're more familiar with RST's for example.

Hope this helps, post a pic if you can, I'm just interested to see them.

Cheers Velo

Back