Hello - My first post - advice please!

meandmydrums

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Just got back from a trip to Scotland. Took the abused and mistreated MTB. Had such a good time that it restored my obsession from the late 80s and 90s with bicycles.

I built a really cool bike when I was 16 which was a metallic purple and pearl white modified 18" Reynolds 753 race frame with project 2 forks, Suntour XC transmission, those absolutely bombproof Mavic MA40 rims, Ground Controls (am I remembering correctly?) and lots of other cool stuff only for it to be nicked from the shed in our garden a few months later. Got a bit on the insurance and purchased my friend's bike (an old Shogun frame with lots of great top spec warranty bits from Specialized because he worked there) which I still have (the afore mentioned abused and mistreated model). I carried on riding but was disillusioned by equipment, the expense and bike thievery.

I'm now in my mid-thirties (still very fit from playing competitive badminton) and a quick look on ebay has totally rekindled my interest and I want to start riding again, but I'm totally befuddled by all the new developments in geometry, suspension, disc brakes, headset and stems.

I'm going to buy something old (a retro Orange or Kona), one of those old bikes I lusted after, but lost out on when I was a teenager. I also intend on doing some sort of mod on my current MTB (it deserves it for putting up with my neglect for almost 2 decades - see the pic).

Right so I've got a pile of questions but I'll start with these:

Cantilevers and brake blocks - still a good lightweight option? I've read that the blocks are fairly abrasive so rims don't last as long as they used to....

Headsets - if I want to do a restore on a retro bike - where do I get a good threaded headset from - or is there a modern solution that doesn't cock up old school geometry.

Rigid forks - what are the best options for cantilever braking systems?

Transmission and gears - I'm thinking of using the old short cage Deore XTII derailleur with the SIS/Friction thumbshifter - replace the pulleys - keep it 7 speed with a HG30 cassette, HG50 chain and a new 38-42T chainring on the old DeoreXTII cranks (5 spokes) - can I do that or will I run into problems?

Best place for respray? - I was looking at argos in Bristol as I'm in Gloucester.

Basically I want a lightweight restore of my current bike and I'm going to buy something else - preferably a Kona or Orange retro for the frame.....

Attachments

• my-old-bike.jpg
    my-old-bike.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,362
hello and welcome to the site :)

You will find a few of the things you seek over in the classifieds section, including the ornage/kona and the components.

canti's are still a great option, and can be run easily if your frame has a hanger or if you get a hanger that attaches itself to the seatpost quick release on ther ear and one that fits like a spacer onto the steerer or quill in the front.

rigid forks are still a great option as well, though harder to come by; ebay is your friend, though again, our classifieds section is great for all this stuff, as I'm sure there are other sites members who are local to you can suggest.

good luck!

Good news everything has gotten better. Go buy a brand new bike with fantastic shifting and killer disc brakes. You will enjoy riding more and so ride more.

Build a retro bike for the pub.

Lid":4s7wtce2 said:
Good news everything has gotten better. Go buy a brand new bike with fantastic shifting and killer disc brakes. You will enjoy riding more and so ride more.

you're kidding, right?

Lid":2um1rzqk said:

:?: :?: :?:

Burn him!!!

Welcome to the site, everything you require will be found in the classifieds section.

Lid":c0xi9bgv said:

Lid's a Canadian, I believe... ;-)

Mr K

Attachments

• Homecoming Queen.jpg
    Homecoming Queen.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,282
mrkawasaki":26ucpy0b said:
Lid's a Canadian, I believe... ;-)

Mr K

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I ride my Kili Ultra a lot more than I ever did when I had a modern bike. ;)

PS Welcome to the site and say goodbye to your bank balance! :LOL:

Feeling welcome

I stayed up last night and won a 2000 Orange Clockwork on ebay - hurray - so the detriment to my bank balance has begun - I should be ok though as my previous hobby was a recording studio and bikes are much cheaper thankfully!

Back