unusual 1995 Kilauea

Kona Paul

Kona Fan
Picked this up today. Despite the colour being that of a 1996 Sex Too, with much help from Anthony, this is quite certainly determined to be a 1995 Kilauea. The Sugoi cranks, SRAM X-ray 600 grip shifters, Bonty ti bar, and XT derailleurs are original higher end spec for the 1995 Kilauea, the velocity stem with orange is also a 95 feature, plus decals are for the 1995 Kilauea. There are a few other clues with tubing (Tange Prestige Custom) tapering and partial serial number etc., but these are the more obvious details.

I removed the (non-original) barends and hideous grips. More and better pictures will come, but wanted to share the find for now, as we've never seen one in yellow to date that I know of (though there are certainly more).

The program I use to downsize pics is not opening, so sorry for the link.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o302 ... uea001.jpg

kilauea001.jpg

Paul pointed out the resemblance to chiringuita's 1996 Explosif, pictured below in its original form. I remember chiringuita telling me he had only seen one other 96 Explosif and that was yellow also, so he hadn't been aware that green was the standard colour. So one possibility is that all of the 96 Explosifs sold in Spain (and maybe some other countries) were yellow. And maybe the idea came from the same person who caused there to be a batch of yellow 95 Kilaueas?

Attachments

• 1996 Explosif size 17 in yellow.jpg
    1996 Explosif size 17 in yellow.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,455
Never seen one of them before! Interesting to see these strange variations on catalogue items.

The build is all correct, the only strange thing is the colour of the forks- have they been swapped or resprayed at any point do you know? Just wondering if that was another variation or if it has been altered since.

Edit: Can I assume this bike hasn't had much use? Those Sugino chainrings were soft as shite...

Double edit: Re the forks colour- hard to tell from that pic- is the stem the normal bronze or does it match the fork?

cce":19o2ndk2 said:
runout special? warranty respray?

Original paint. My guess is a 95 frame painted in a 96 colour for the european market, much like those Finish frames we saw a thread about not so long ago. In other words, extra stock. At least it is a Kilauea. But see Anthony's post above.

Geoff":3p9s117x said:
Never seen one of them before! Interesting to see these strange variations on catalogue items.

The build is all correct, the only strange thing is the colour of the forks- have they been swapped or resprayed at any point do you know? Just wondering if that was another variation or if it has been altered since.

Edit: Can I assume this bike hasn't had much use? Those Sugino chainrings were soft as shite...

Double edit: Re the forks colour- hard to tell from that pic- is the stem the normal bronze or does it match the fork?

I know it was used as a commuter for a while by the guy I got it from, but it has been sitting for some time collecting dust. Before him I don't know. The firks are shite and have been swapped out at some point. Shame, but P2's aren't exactly a rarity. I think the originals in the photo are also silver. The decals on the bronze coloures stem are correct.

The stem is too long for me, and bars perhaps to short for my liking, and as only half the components or so are original I might strip it down and sell the cranks, brake levers, stem, bars, and possibly shifters (one is original, one is newer) and seatpost and saddle, and build it back up using stuff I have lying around and stuff I find...probably here! :D

Back