I bought the world's most notorious brakes!

PurpleFrog

Kona Fan
Jobst Brandt warned never to use them!

Sheldon Brown warned never to use them - even on a tandem!

They can brake a tandem so hard that the rear wheel will lift!

When Suntour bought the rights their lawyers banned them from going on the front of any bike what so ever!

Even the guy who posted "But Sheldon, they're fine for my tandem, I wouldn't have anything else!" refused to have them on his mountain bike or tourer!

Yes, I bought a pair - they're front and rear specific - of the notorious original Pedersen Self Energizing Cantilevers in their funky coloured CNCed glory! One is anodized blue, one purple. The canti arms are on a helical screw so that wheel rotation pulls them them together, boosting braking power.

After Chris put the idea in my head when he saw the Suntour rear-only version for sale, I did some checking around. These things do have a reputation for bestial power, but the people who got them to work properly also said the modulation was as good as any canti and they're great on a mountain bike if you're not an idiot. They can squeal extremely loudly, but my research says that's curable. What they need is dismantling for lubing every year or two, the same careful set-up as any cantis, and - ideally - brake boosters.

If anyone is interested, I believe the US ebay seller may have more for sale shortly, and he's willing to post to the UK.

BUT you shouldn't put these on a suspension fork - unless, I suppose, it has an anti dive barking feature you trust. Possibly. A diving fork combined with the SE system can create a feedback loop which results in braking power increasing for the same hand pressure and an instant wheel lock.

LeeDevelopment":2k6lib43 said:
Get some photo's up will ya ;)

The ebay add is one of those silly things that won't let you link. You'll just have to wait a few days - I'm sure the crash invesitgators will include photographs in their report.

Pedersen brakes rocked. I had a set on my old purple Zaskar, even a Pedersen U-brake (rare!) on the back. A friend rode Pedersens on his first-year Duralcan-made Specialized M-2 for years and years. I think they may still be on that bike, although it is no longer his primary ride.

Good brakes. Suntour's lawyers were dorks. ;)

utahdog2003":ocwh1ibc said:
Pedersen brakes rocked. I had a set on my old purple Zaskar, even a Pedersen U-brake (rare!) on the back. A friend rode Pedersens on his first-year Duralcan-made Specialized M-2 for years and years. I think they may still be on that bike, although it is no longer his primary ride.

Good brakes. Suntour's lawyers were dorks. ;)

I thought you were on holiday, granny gearing your way up the side of that huge mountain???

Thanks for the encouragement!

PurpleFrog":1h7j1aq0 said:
I thought you were on holiday, granny gearing your way up the side of that huge mountain???

Thanks for the encouragement!

I wish I was still there...that was last week. This week, I'm here. *bleah!*

;)

PurpleFrog":199cew9v said:
LeeDevelopment":199cew9v said:
Get some photo's up will ya ;)

The ebay add is one of those silly things that won't let you link. You'll just have to wait a few days - I'm sure the crash invesitgators will include photographs in their report.

COuld you please paste link to the ebay auction here then?

I tried searching for it but no luck so far. I have a set of Pedersen canti's and I'm curious how they compare.

TIA

From the set I have

More power = more flex = same amount of braking
Even with stiff boosters

Maguras worked heaps better, IMHO
Modern DH discs piss all over them!

Scrat":30jg4n4s said:
From the set I have

More power = more flex = same amount of braking
Even with stiff boosters

Maguras worked heaps better, IMHO
Modern DH discs piss all over them!

People's results did seem to vary a lot. If your mounts turn the extra power into flex, even with boosters, then you've reached the limit of what your bike can do. (Unless maybe you get better designed boosters?) Certainly some people got huge braking power from these things - lifting a tandem's nose off the ground isn't easy!

I linked to an interesting discussion of stiffness in the "Some Interesting Threads About Cantilevers" btw.

Back