How to stick on decals

Spikes

Retro Guru
I recently purchased a Fat Chance Titanium frame with a spare set of the original decals. I want to clean the frame with a Scotchbrite pad and stick on the new decals. I just do not know how. I recently restored another Fat with new decals, but I damaged one. I really want to avoid this to happen again. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Cheers

from the decals i have used ( old stock )

you should place them on the frame , but the improtant thing is to pull the backing paper / film backwards along the frame , not away from it at a right angle , if you see what i mean

cleaning the frame with some turps / white spirit as well to remove any grease wont hurt either

@slim: i do not quite get it. Do you mean to push the decals on a dry and cleaned frame and then pull off the backing perpendicular to the direction of the tubing? Isn't it difficult to pull of a backing that is placed around a tube without tearing it?

if you've got original FAT decals be ultra careful with them as they're real fragile & can flake into a thousand pieces.

when they are on the frame , you drag the backing film back along the tube

but as mike says , you need to be carefull

most decals , transfers have a limited shelf life , and may crack , and you wont even notice it till you peel off the film

Here's a few pointers...

Clean the frame well with denatured alcohol or acetone and let air dry.

Gently warm the frame tube with a hair dryer for about 1 minute.

Peel away the frame side backing and position the decal holding the two ends

The NOS decals should have two small reference lines on the outer lateral edges, mid-line...use these to accurately position.

Gently run one finger across the middle, from end to end, to set the decal, then rub the decal down to the tube from the centerline to the outer edges one half at a time (top/bottom).

Holding the transfer sheet tight to the tube, use a blunt plastic/wood surface (a dowel rod piece works well) to rub the transfer sheet with steady pressure, insuring you pay attention to the edges of the underlying decal outline. This is called debasing and is a critical step for these older graphics.

Once debased, start at one end of the transfer sheet and gently peel away the transfer sheet angling back in the direction of travel as it is removed. Go incredibly slow, watching the edges for complete release as these will tear easily.

Keep a razor blade handy to help release the decal from the transfer sheet if an edge does not debase properly.

Visually insure all edges are set. Use the slippery side of the transfer sheet wrapped around a finger to smooth/press down an edge.

Good luck,

rody

@Rody: would it be a good idea to tape the backing of the decal to the frame before you start rubbing with a dowel?
I am afraid for cracks when I start debasing the top half, when the bottom half is hanging loose.

Thanks to your great help, I managed to stick on the decals and the result is great. Here is what I did:

- clean the frame surface with acetone (do not use on paint!) This will dissolve traced of dirt
- dry the surface with a paper towel
- clean the surface with rubbing alcohol (isopropylalcohol) and dry the surface with a microfiber cloth that is used for glasses. This will also dissolve dirt and degrease, but doesn't leave traces like acetone.
- stick two strips of scotchtape magic on the long sides of the decal.
- firmly press on the decal, starting in the middle, pressing it on towards the edges, where the scotchtape keeps it in place
- press the decal further on with a piece of paper towel
- rub the decal on with a wooded dowel or spatula, paying extra attention to the edges
- keep rubbing with the wooden spatula or dowel, but be careful not to damage the backing
- afer five minutes of carefull rubbing: remove the scotchtape on an edge and peel of the backing very carefully
- if the decal is on the frame, continue removing the backing
- if the decal is still on the backing, press the decal back into place and continue rubbing the edges
- when the decal is in place and the backing removed, softly press othe decal with a microfiber cloth

Secret of success: patience. Eventually the decal will let go of the backing and stick to your frame. It may help to gently heat the frame prior to sticking the decal on with a hair dryer.

tifat_1.jpg

(also published on Fatcogs)

Back