Kona P2 Steerer Length?

BerthaPog

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi,

Hopefully an easy question for the great and the good...

Is a threaded 160mm steerer on some P2s going to be long enough to work on a 150mm head tube ('92 Cindercone if that makes a difference) when fitted with a Kona Impact headset ?

Thanks,

Highly unlikely, that allows just 10mm for the headset, which isn't enough. The bottom bearing assembly is at least 8 mm.

SP

I think you need to add about 30mm to the headtube length for an Impact, so your looking at 180mm. Hopefully our resident Kona guru, Anthony, can confirm.

I'm running a 125mm steerer on a 90mm head tube with a Deore DX headset. I very much doubt you'll get away with 10mm

Ta muchly, avoids bidding on something that won't work! It sounded tight, hence the question!

Post a link in the market place watch forum, someone else here may be able to make use of it.

That fork is a 1993 P2, so the right length a-c, but 16cm is 2cm too short for your frame. 1991/92 P2s, which are black with a yellow flash, don't come up very often I'm afraid. Ideally you need a triple-butted one for the Cinder Cone (or for any bike, come to that), but it isn't clear whether this one is triple-butted.

I can't remember how steerer extenders work now, so somebody may like to clue me up on that one, but I think that might be an option - but I think it would mean you'd have to run an aheadset and an ahead stem to adapt this fork for your frame.

I can be patient for the right forks - got to finish the Freddie Grubb before I can really start on the Cindercone.

Re: extenders. A previous Kona (a '91 Fire Mountain that I gave away :oops: ) spent some time with drop bars - it used a quill to ahead adaptor (basically a quill stem less the angle bit to hold the bars), but that still required correct length threaded forks (would have fitted just fine, though not triple butted). You the fitted the ahead stem to the adaptor.

Is this the type of thing, or is there some magic bit the will extend threaded steerers?

Thanks,

Back