Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:55 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:45 am 
Retro Guru

I have a pair of Judy DH forks that are a bit tatty, have a short steerer perfect for my frame/stem setup. They are missing decals.

They have a little annoying this where they seem move about 2mm in the travel with a tiny little push down that I initially thought was play in my headset.

Apart from that they feel nice, don't seem too heavy (3.1 lbs is light I think for forks).

I was thinking of getting the legs redone in Judy DH red and stripping them and rebuilding.

I haven't even looked into prices yet. It's either this or waiting for a newer pair.

What do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:16 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Do them up :wink:
You'll not regret it and if you ever sell them on,you'll make a bit more
Not that thats the reason,just that they look better and more fitting that a tatty pair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:17 pm 
Retro Guru

Would I be best painting them myself? Used to do this with BMX frames but think a pair of forks would get scuffed up a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:23 pm 

Emoco wrote:
Would I be best painting them myself? Used to do this with BMX frames but think a pair of forks would get scuffed up a bit.

IMHO,no,get them professionally sprayed,unless youre very good and have a compressor/gun set up ,
rattle cans wont give the same standard of finish and they will always look amateurish

Powdercoating gives the deepest lustre 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:24 pm 
Retro Guru

Any suggestions? I think Judy red is quite distinctive. Tried Argos but they don't have a colour similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:34 pm 
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike
B.o.T.M. Winner / Feature Bike

Before you go down that route make sure you can get the spares as there is nothing worse than spending money on a respray only to find that the forks are junk when you get them back.

If you go down the respray route you will need to source some new bushes as the old ones sound worn and they are a bitch to get out without wrecking them (something you will have to do if you get them resprayed professionally. You may need new dust covers as they can get wrecked when you remove them and you may well need new elastomers or springs to get the most out of your newly refurbed forks. Your forks will take springs nicely as they are ones with 2 dampers but be sure to get the right length. Also you may need to get the dampers serviced if they have never been as they are now 10+ years old.

So:

Respray: £40
Bushes: £10
Springs: £30
Service: £20

So maybe estimate £100. Still a load cheaper and much nicer looking than all those new forks but don't try and do it on the cheap or you will be disappointed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:39 pm 
Retro Guru

Might try and take them apart this weekend to see how things look inside.

I have a fixed canti brace and use V Brakes. Might try and cut this guide off and smooth it down to look like a v brake brace if I'm getting them resprayed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:51 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Emoco wrote:
Might try and take them apart this weekend to see how things look inside.

I have a fixed canti brace and use V Brakes. Might try and cut this guide off and smooth it down to look like a v brake brace if I'm getting them resprayed.

What?

Don't do it, these are quite easy to come by, offer the canti one up for swaps, they are getting harder to find, and at least it won't matter to you what colour is offered to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:05 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

As you are doing, check the forks first and see what damage there is.

If the 2mm is just fork compression then the internals don't sound to bad, if it rock back and forth then your bushings are likely gone. At the weight I'm assuming MCU's are in there and they're probably knackered by now. Springs, I assume are heavier, mine have springs so I have nothing to compare with.

My Gallery link has the manual you'll need to check for stripping them if you've not got one already.

Throw up some picture.

As for colour, make them individual and match them nicely to your bike.

That's about all I know about them, but trying to learn more.

3.1 lb is the stock weight for a 1" 160mm steerer 1995 version, oddly in 1996 they gained 0.4lb with a steerer length 140mm steerer length :s