Some tech questions about rear wheel...

Emoco

Retro Guru
So I've just put a XT Cassette on my XTR hubbed wheel.

Should there be slightly play (feels like springy play if that makes sense) on the bit that the cassette slides onto?

How tight should the lock ring be?

Also, the cones on the one side of the wheel, should there be any movement? I want to make sure my rear wheel is setup right. Seems fine with the XTR quick release, just wondering if there's anythings to look out for.

Cheers in advance!

for the cassette, sometimes you will need one of these spacers to take up any difference between cassette widths:

CS409Z13_____1____8SP.jpg

The play (which like I said, feels springy) is actually pushing the other way, to the front and rear of the bike, no against and away from the wheel.

Lots of Shimano hubs have that play to some degree, even fresh out of the box. The hub body, that the cassette slides on, has pretty sloppy tolerances inside the ratchet/pawl mechanism, all across the Shimano range. If the play doesn't affect shifting or chain alignment, then I'd let it slide. :D

If it bugs you, take a trip to the local bike shop and wiggle some new Shimano parts around for comparison. I bet you find the same slop there too.

LGF might be right though depending on the models of xt and xtr, an m900 hub will need a very slim spacer to fit an xt 8speed cassette. give us the part numbers if you can it might affect the answer.

i have an m900 wheelset and i run a standard 8speed cassette and that needed a spacer but there is still some natural/designed in movement, but it is bearly noticeable

To be honest, I don't think it would bother me riding. My dad told me a story once where he tightened the cones on his wheel tool much and his wheel seized up on a long ride. I heard this story at a young age and ever since have been super paranoid about my wheels being okay and in the dropouts and tight in there too!

It's a M950 XTR Hub with what looks like a similar period or more modern XT Cassette. The play I can feel feels like it's meant to be there if that makes sense?

The XTR Quick release feels really nice. Never had quick release that I haven't had to fanny around with so much before.

i think you might need the spacer, the m900 hubs came with the spacer and the m950 was 8speed aswel so it suggests it is similar even though it looked different. don't forget shimano have always done things that try and force you into using particular parts, so ideally using an xtr cassette on an xtr hub, they'll tell you it functions better but honestly it means they have sold a more expensive item! i went from 7speed xt to 8speed xt then to 9speed xtr so i haven't used your particular set up but i'm ex bike trade so i think i know what i'm talking about!! :LOL: maybe.

Back