Boulder: Gazelle or Defiant?

skwerl

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I am getting ready to put my Boulder on eBay tomorrow but I don't how to identify the model. I think it was made around 1991. It has the original fork (which is a Rock Shox RS-1), so that seems like Gazelle. The serial # is 00091, which means nothing to me. The guy I bought it from called it a Defiant, but he wasn't the original owner and didn't strike me as someone who knew much about these things.

Help?

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,409
  • image 5.jpg
    image 5.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,407
  • side sky 1.jpg
    side sky 1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,407
Hahahaha busted!

There is a legitimate question in there, though. Is there a way to tell the difference?

On second thought, I think I'll keep it. But if anyone, just out of pure curiosity, just happens to be wondering what it would cost to ship a bike, a Boulder Gazelle/Defiant say, to the UK...

I'm digging the suedetail.

Ship it to New Haven if you want, I can make sure everything still works before you sell it ;)

Its early enough so I'd stick my neck out and say Gazelle. Shipping going to hurt- it cost me just shy of $400 to get my FAT sent over and that was when we got $1.75 to the pound. Boulders don't seem to make themoney they should as it is- with such a big chunk to go on top for shipping I would be mighty suprised to see it land this side of the pond.

Keep it and enjoy it sir!

Si

Thanks Dr S,

I am going to call it a Gazelle in the ad. All of the original ads that I've seen for the Defiant say it was offered with a Mag20, not the earlier RS-1.

I wish I could keep it, but it's too small for me and I can't justify keeping a bike that I don't ride. So bye bye Boulder.

erkan":5a1d76l3 said:
Defiant and Gazelle are the same frame, just different name IIRC.
Not quite, I've had both, and there are a couple of subtleties. .
Yup, thats an early one going by the paint and serial number, and RS1. My Gazelle was similar. The EARLIEST gazelled had a seat tube not in line with the seat mast, giving a 'bent' look. If its Bent, its a gazelle. But the later gazelles were 'straight'. And 1 1/4 headset.
On the Defiant changover, going by mine and OCDGeeks Defiant, the defiants were 1 1/8 headtube, not 1 1/4".
And if it gets the cast gazelle headtube badge, its a defiant, as this headtube badge is pretty late. Early headbadges were either absent, or a 'wheel behind a mountain' graphic.
And importantly, pop the link in Marrketplace watch,as I might be interested, if its a medium. . ;)

sizing can be deduced here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 4&start=15
;)

Tough one - I'd bid on it if it was just the F&F but like Dr S says once you start bringing over full bikes it's much more expensive and the rest of the spec is superfluous really as I would be changing it. Why not split it?

By all means PM me your ad link when it's on, though I'm sure It'll be appearing in my searches shortly :)

Oh , I forgot to add! Gezelle and defiant:- the gazelle was corrected for the loooooong RS1 fork, and the Defiant was corrected for more contemporary mag 21/ Manitou2 generation. .
Being that this is on RS1, it kinda MUST be a gazelle. A defiant hadles like a chopper on RS1's. . ;)

Latest posts

Back