Hi everybody

jawsum

Dirt Disciple
Hello retrobikers, 1st post here, although i've been lurking here for ages.

Today i bought a GT Timberline off a bloke at work for £25, a bargain hopefully ? I'm not sure what to do with it yet, i rather fancy single speeding it and probably will. Hopefully you clever chaps can answer a few questions for me.

Is/was this bike any good?
How old is it?
Should it have odd brakes?
Is it suitable for single speed?
I can't find another one on the net, does this mean it's rare or just rubbish?

Nice meeting you all. :D

Attachments

• Photo0026.jpg
    Photo0026.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 872
Hello. GT's are not my interest BUT if you like then keep it and ride. shouldn't have odd brakes. Post some pic's
Why SS it??

hi mate and welcome.........

The "odd" brakes are normal on this model, it looks totally standard to me
The brake on the rear is a U-Brake.

Enjoy working on it ;)

gc

hi tintin, it's my 3rd bike. I've got two modern MTB's so thought single speeding this one would be a nice little project for me.

Hi, and welcome.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

SSing old GTs is fun.

This is my venture into the SS world ;)

tequesta_117.jpg

Yep, looks a bargain to me!

If it was my bike I'd keep ditch the modern kit (stem and saddle) and re-fit retro stuff. If you're just going to potter about on it then I'd keep it standard.... However I'd be willing to bet that the Upgrade Bug will soon bite (which is as prevalent as Swine Flu on this site) and soon you'll be trawling through the for sale pages for NOS XT! Don't go anodized purple though, that is a one-way ticket..... :shock:

Have fun on the new steed.

SP

P.S. you can fit cartridge v-brake pads to the u-brake and use modern compound pads, that'll help the braking a lot.

£25 was a steal. You can hack the SS by taking off the front derailer, setting the chain on the middle ring and cog that gives you the straightest line, and using the back derailer as a tensioner. Worth to doing to get a feel for it.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I tinks i'm gonna like it here :D

Pickle - Nice Tequesta. Thats the sort of look i'm gonna try to achieve, but with drop bars.

Back