Single speed MTB

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
What is the main purpose of a ss MTB? And what sort of gear (inches) should it run?

I ask because I'm considering converting an old mtb I have but not sure about the why's of doing it and if I sell it on I want it to appeal to the wider market.

You've got to try it, and see if you get on with it.

An old steel MTB with no gears is wonderful, it's as pure and simple as a mountain bike can possibly be.

As for gears, quite a bit lower than a road fixed gear, say 45-50ish?

:p :LOL: normally a thorny debate, those that get it and those that don't. Anyway a good starter is a 2:1 ratio normally a 32/34/36 middle ring with 16/17/18 on the back. Resale can be good as generally they make good looking bikes, especially steel frames. Look nice and clean, also if it has a nice drivetrain you can make a bit of cash their too selling this on. Whatever you do try it for a good few runs and find your answer there :D

Best to do a search as topic has been covered a few times in the past, with many members falling out :LOL:

I use my Cotic Simple running 16 at the back and 34 at the cranks for training and pulling my kids along on the trailer.

chris667":jtao9dys said:
An old steel MTB with no gears is wonderful, it's as pure and simple as a mountain bike can possibly be.

Finished mine this afternoon. Such a nice feeling!

There are at least two reasons for an SS MTB.

Firstly, it can be a very tough street bike - build it with narrow rims, fast slicks, and a long stem or even pursuits. I almost bought a Stumpjumper that had been built as a winter training bike for road racing - it had the rider in trials bike position, 26 x 1.1(?) inch Gatorskins and on the flat it could move faster than the owner's high end carbon racer. Less extreme examples with cut down flat bars and 1.5ish slicks are popular as courier bikes.

Secondly, as an offroad - it makes things harder, which for some people is more fun.

Search for Sheldon Brown's site, he goes into everything singlespeed in detail, including inches for MTB and road bikes. Obviously an MTB built as a psuedo courier bike should be geared like a road bike.

Oh - and the chain is much less likely to come off a correctly built single, so good for a jump and stunt bike too.

Don't bother!

SS/fixies are so over. Join the geared revolution, it's so much better on the knees.

Al, :D

One thing you'll definitely notice when using an SS is that you get fit a lot quicker than you would using gears. Also you can keep going through mud when your geared mates come to a stop because there's no gears to clog up. They're also lighter. ;)

everyone's pretty much covered it.

It builds leg strength since the only gears you have are in your legs, no mechanical assistance.

It's cool when you're good enough to beat the geared riders up and down te mountain....good bragging rights.

Let's see what else...
fewer mechanical failures simply based on having fewer moving parts

Back