Retro racing thread

bordercollie1

Devout Dirtbag
I was just wondering if any of you guys followed the Grundig and Norba race series in the early 90s?

Does anyone remember a favourite rider? favourite pro team? favourite pro bike??

I have a few seasons of Grunding races on VHS somewhere , taped from eurosports .
Ned Overnd was my man in xc , and N Vouilloz for the DH .

was lucky enough to be living in plymouth when the grundig world cup races attended plymouth. got plenty of pics... fond memories :)

fave riders, Ned, Tomac, Frischnect :)

Bart Brentjens!!

But also the great names, Furtado, Frischknecht, Tomac (ofcourse) Hoydal (with the slissing accent on eurosport: Yez, it waz a great courz)

You could get a good idea of what worked and what didn't by looking at what the pros rode. Team Ritchey won so much on rigid steel frames and Z max tyres.

When Tomac rode for Giant he just had a Yeti painted yellow!

I was so sad that I used to get Cycling Weekly to get the race results and reports! I think you had to get MBI for the really good race coverage.

I had forgotton about the Plymouth Grundig, what year was that and who won it?

plymouth grundig was a few years running. 92-95, then a gap, then 98-99... tho I could be slightly out..

best year was when david baker won, ned 2nd, tomac 3rd :D

I'm still not sure if tomac giant was a yeti or chris herting built 3D ...ameybrook could you find out?

Old Racers

I used to do NEMBA races back in the day (Hamsterley, Catterick, Kentmere, Bosley, somewhere overlooking Middlesborough); strayed South for Plymouth, Aldershot, Sherwood, Cannock etc. - they must have been when 7 Up were sponsoring cos I've still got some race numbers with the logo on; did a couple of Nationals, one at Broxa Forest (anyone remember the first lap of the MotoX course will be scarred for life!!!) and, oooh where was the other one now?? All done on my first Zaskar with RC35s.

Migrated to NWMBA races in Brenin, Llangollen (the best courses IMHO are Welsh) and Nannerch once I got sick of falling asleep at the wheel in my race kit on a Sunday night... All on a ProFlex 955 with orange Bombers.

Tried 3 Polaris Challenges too - sleeping in snow wasn't jolly - but the sense of achievement is still with me!

If anyone has lists and dates of those series in the early 90s can they post them up - would love to wallow in nostalgia some more!

Neil

One of my favourites was Mike Kloser, the US Alpinestars rider. I had the pleasure of riding with him on the moorland climb at Newnham one year on the saturday practice. He was very chatty and stayed beside me all the way up, not sure if it was because i was on an identical bike as him or that he was just bored. Brilliant fun though and of course i told all my mates that i 'stayed with' Kloser on the climb!

Tomac was and still is my favourite though. Roll on his new range of bikes in June. :D

Back