PACE RC200 f8 , which headset

wm4wm4

Retro Guru
Hello,

My thermo SP Headset on my pace has finally called time, and i'm on the hunt for a new one. I have fox 32 rlc's on the front and an original pace stem. Does anyone have any ideas which headset would perform and look the best. Also if anyone knows whether an integral or threadless is best i would be very grateful to know (my technical knowledge is pretty poor).

Thanks in advance

Wilf

I quite like the FSA Orbit MX with sealed bearings, they're very light for the money. The bearings don't last very long but a new set is only a fiver!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-FSA-ORBIT-MX- ... 7C294%3A50

If you've got aspirations for something a bit bling there is Hope or Chris King etc. If you are buying a decent headset will alloy cups, it is probably best to get someone with a headset tool to press it in properly.

One consideration if you don't have a lot of spacers under the stem is the 'stack height' which is the total height of the bearing assembly. However if you have at least one spacer under your stem you shouldn't have to worry too much about stack height.

I'd be pretty certain that your bike will have a standard 1 1/8 external threadless headset. Though I could be wrong.....

SP

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
THanks for the really quick reply.

I'm prepared to pay between £50-£100 so would proabbly go with Chris King. Have you any idea which one to go for. With the race face THermo SP, the top of the steerer falls 8mm short of the top of the stem, so maybe i need one with a small stack?

THanks
Wilf

8mm below the top of the stem is too short, getting a lower stack height is a good idea!

I know 'owt about Chris King, but I see on thier website that they have a new profile design call the Inset. They spec the frame requirements here:
http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_inset

Maybe a Pace guru can help you out with suitability?

"For example, for 1 1-8” you will need the inner diameter (ID) of the bicycle headtube to be 44mm (+0, -.05). "

Chris King all day long, i have an Rc200 and use a CK, looks great, but it will probably empty your wallet :D

RC200 headset

I run a King in mine,from those great people at Aspire Velotech,in the states

6528_120837063081_672683081_2975438_7139732_n.jpg

You could consider Hope.....

But King is nice too.

Chris King and change the steerer if more length needed, the headset will last longer than you or the bike ;)

Back