lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
hi hopefully picking this ebay purchase up this evening..

25g6lgh.jpg

the plan is to swap a few of the nicer bits on my fire mountain over to this then sell what remains - hopefully a cheap way of upgrading.

i am assuming it is a 93 as the paint is the oh so cool 2 tone but is this pre suspension corrected geometry? i have a 95 and 97 fire mountain and they handle their forks with ease (97 rc36 proclass and 97 judy sl respectively) but what forks would be best for this frame?

cheers guys

I had a 93 Fire Mountain and that had a 1in threaded fork

Ran mine with old bombers at their lowest sag and still found them a bit too long
Have attached a very old pic to compare

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,122
noo. never even gave a second thought to the fact it could be 1"!! this is supposedly a lava dome, anyone know if they are 1"?

If it helps my 93 explosif was 1 1/8th. I ran it briefly (very!) with Kona Z-links :cool: offering a whole 10mm of travel, yeah baby!

STA70198.jpg

you dont see them very often. dont suppose you still have them? dont suppose to want to sell them for about a fiver

lewis1641":1wzj9r4n said:
you dont see them very often. dont suppose you still have them? dont suppose to want to sell them for about a fiver

Im affraid not, they sold on here early last year. (for a little more than £5 though)

Sorry to alarm you. just assumed you were talking about a FM,work web blocks certain things like your pic or link (only saw a red cross)

Glad its all ok for you

The 1993 frames are not 'suspension-adjusted'. This means they are made for a 2cm shorter fork than the 1994 onwards frames.

This doesn't however mean that you shouldn't run any suspension fork on them, but just that should stick to short-travel ones. For example, I have a 94 Marzocchi XC-500 here that has an a-c of 41.5cm (say 40 with sag). That's 2cm less than a Z2 or a 96 Judy SL, so I would expect that a fork like that would be fine on a 93 Lava Dome. I guess a Mag21 might be fine as well, but I've never had one so I don't know its a-c length.

Back