fork recommendations for GT wanted please

Dead Rats

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My girlfriend's 16" '97 GT Timberline rebuild is in need if some forks (originally I think it came with the choice of rigids or Rock Shox Indy S) and we're looking at a short travel fork of suitably short enough crown race to axle measurement... other than an Indy S, are there any others that you'd recommend :?:

Many thanks as always for any suggestions :idea:

I have a '98 Backwoods of similar geometry and run a great pair of marzocchi Z2 bombers with it. Heavy forks but still not bettered in terms of smooth travel quality in my opinion.

I'd also recommend Bombers, either Z1,2 or 3's

Have a set of long travel Z1's on my LTS and love them also just bought a pair of standard travel Z3's for my FSR

As coomber said they are not the lightest forks, they are oil (oil bath) damped steel spring but there is no elastormers to rot, oil cartridges to burst or air to leak out so are very reliable.

They are very easy to strip and service, CRC have the bits in stock to rebuild/repair them.

I agree on the Z2's not the 1's as i think thats too much,dont know Z3's but usually all bombers of that era will be the dogs gonads

A touch heavy perhaps but they wont need servicing every year[mine went 8 years of offroad without a service and when i did get them done the mechanic didnt think they needed anything other than a fluid change and a wee clean while you're in there.
Im waiting to hear about a set of 2's at present,then i can ditch the rubbish
judy's
I suppose if you look at 97-98 bams you can see the sliders are coated ,and the fork was £450 new nowadays to get coated ultra-plush forks you need to look at paying £300+
You will have a top fork for 90 max :LOL:

Let them buy their foxes :roll:

thanks for the recommendations people... one thing to add is that we've run the bike with a variety of forks old and new and need some that have a fairly short crown to axle (420mm-ish), do any of the above measure so short?

re:

I have had an 80mm's fork on a 98 avalanche le without any problems. they sold the 99 avalanche or the 00 don't remember with the same frame and higher fork...

otherwise get an old Judy and some better springs they work fine.

Back