Getting machinists to make parts - how easy?

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have a part in mind, a steerer tube, but it has to have a 1" wide insert, then be like a normal 1 1/8" ahead tube, thereabouts, how easy is it to ask someone to do that, and does anyone have anyone thay can recommend, as i only need one or two of these made?

Matt

Have you thought about using 1" - 11/8" shims on the lower race and upper race/stem? This is what Girvin used to use on the vector 1 forks. Not like the headtube reducers or devolution headsets, but does allow you to use 1 1/8 headset on 1" forks

I think he wants it the other way round?

wants to use 1" fork in a 1-1/8" frame? if thats the case headset reducers would be much cheaper easier and safer, any metal shop could do that

reducers £15 to buy, be more from your local machine shop as a 1 off, unless he's your best mate

It is very easy to get machine shops to make parts for you, pretty much anything you need. Just that it will cost you a lot of money in most cases. An hour of machinist time isn't cheap. I found a pair of machinists that restore old bikes, 1890's type of bikes. They do machining for cycling at a very reduced rate because they have a passion for it, but even then, it was still not cheap.

Best bet is a friend (assuming you can get it done in under a year, have a friend who will get to another job any day now :)

It us easy to have a machine shop do work for you. But I would recommend that you draw it up as well as possible so he or she does not have to read your mind. That way both of you can have a copy, and a quote can be given.
Sometimes it takes more time to explain what you want than it takes to make the part. :roll:

Scrat":eygs5iod said:
I think he wants it the other way round?

wants to use 1" fork in a 1-1/8" frame? if thats the case headset reducers would be much cheaper easier and safer, any metal shop could do that

That's exactly what the Girvin things did, without the need to insert headset reducers, they were like devolution headsets without the need to buy a King headset.

If you do go down the machine shop route, you'd have to make sure that the lower part of the 1 1/8" steerer bit is actually wider than 1 1/8" so that it will accept the lower race. The standard inner diameter of a lower race is 30.0mm whereas the upper race is 28.6mm so keep that in mind!

Back