Polishing

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Whats the best way of speedily polishing up stuff?

I used to sit there with wet and dry and a bowl of water then polish the hell out of the component. Then i usually get some brasso and a nice cloth and do the same again.

I have a dremel and I've tried polishing stuff using that but tend to go through the cotton pads things a little too quickly.

Anyone know of anything on the market thats ideal for polishing cranks etc?

I used one of those car polishers for my swing arm and seat stays of my downhil frame, could probably use it for the majority of the crank arms if your could mount the polisher in a vice with the buffing wheel facing upwards and then just rub your crank arms along it as its spinning. Just an idea.

I use Autosol - comes in a toothpaste tube, but I find it's the most effective. I haven't used anything electric so can't comment on that.

use cutting paste and a wheel for a drill. Quick and easy :D
get em from screwfix as a kit with fine/coarse and two mops.

Then use a sheepskin buffer in a drill with some tcut or autoglym polish.
niiiiicee!!

nothing better than freshly polished ali :D

Can bring one round for a spin if you want?

Having spent the xmas holidays polishing frames and bits, I have discovered the best way described somewhere in the forum.

I tried some the kits available on the bay but found the mechanical methods and polishing wheels a bit cack, in the end used a soft lint free cloth and Belgom, a pretty good polish and wax. Planning to post results soon as build is complete.

I found the polisher works a bit better than a drill though as instead of just spinning they kind of do a rotating action as well hard to explain, bit like whan you polish by hand in circles does that. Here's my results below although I've not finished the seat stays yet, oh and you'll be pleased to know I have now removed the rather naff looking XTR stickers though. Don't think I did too badly on the respray though, better than the boring blue it came in. lol

10072005002-1.jpg

10072005.jpg

Handy tips people!

I have lots of different tools but no buffing wheel or autosol so may need to go buy some tomorrow.

Gump - if your popping round tomorrow what can you lend me to clean up some cranks? If you have a buffer I would be real happy to borrow it?

One pair Ive got just need a little anding to remove the major gouges but then I guess its just polishing the surfaces to a lovely fine finish.

That LX crankset that featured on here a while back was like a mirror - cant remember who did it but that was VERY VERY AWESOME.

Back