The risk we take....

Russell

Old School Grand Master
Ballsed up a line today on a rocky drop and caught my M900 rear mech on a lump of limestone. Panicked 'cos the price of them seems to have doubled in the past 6 months (why?????) but the only damage was a bent barrel adjuster! PHEW :D

Made me think twice about taking the old bikes out though, which is wrong because what use are they sat in the garage? They need to be ridden but the price of things these days is making it harder and harder to 'ride it like I stole it'. I'm constantly worrying about how rare or expensive parts are and how difficult it would be to replace them :(

Discuss. :)

Yep, I know How you feel. I have that Nos Zaskar LE frame hanging in my bedroom, but I think I won't be riding it, because it's just too beautiful and still unused.
I would buy another used Zaskar frame, just to ride it, and this one to have for showing and drewling.

I would buy another used Zaskar frame, just to ride it, and this one to have for showing and drewling.

I'll have one soon you can buy off me and do just that with ;)

I've thought about this too, altough the bike i dream of owning, a Mantis Pro-Floater, will probably be just that, a dream.

If i do ever own one i just wouldn't use it just in case.

So, my solution would be to make a replica, actually very easy to do in the case of the mantis, as there are no really expensive parts to reproduce.

The only problem area would be the noleen shock, but several aftermarket shock companies have said they could supply something in that fitment.

Wouldn't be retro, or original, i know, but then it would get used well.

I'm in the process of getting my Kileaeu back together and although it would break my heart to break it a bicycle not ridden is just an utter waste.

know what you mean Russell--i dont sweat the smaller components--derailers--as much, as i mostly use new stuff on an old frame--sorry for the retro no-no, but the new stuff is cheap and reliable for a bike i beat on. ive got a few older shocks to replace what ever i break damage or wear out----the frame is an entirely different matter. i would be crushed if it broke, but thats the chance we take

Hear that!

This is why I put the M900 kit off my Orange on the Pace and have used '93 XT / DX mix on the Orange, more affordable if anything happens, still not as nice though!

Have thought of building a retro bike from modern bits, road rear mech, road triple chainset and vee brakes on a retro ish frame, like a Genesis Altitude 2.0 for instance. Could build a really nice geared rigid XC bike in the retro style for £1200. A bargin when you compare what the equivelant (22lb steel XC racer) would have cost BITD!

One day I may try it!

Back