What have we got (80s Specialized?)

ICB

Dirt Disciple
Hiya

Trying to work out what model year/spec my wife's old Specialized is.

No pics at the moment I'm afraid but I reckon a Specialized guru will work it out. If not I'll get some snaps.

Pretty sure it's a rockhopper, purchased 2h in 91, likely over 20 years old.

It's a very small frame (but relatively long) running on 24" rims
Horseshoe brake on chain stays
XT mechs
Biopace chainset
6 spd cassette
Deore SIS "dual action" thumbshifters (glazes over recalling XT thumbies, underbar mounted, isn't it though eh?)
Deore rear hub, rim is labelled GX28 (front wheel unmatched steel cr4p)
Front (to mid top & down tube) is white, rear is navy, used to be stickers blending the paint job iirc, remaining seat tube sticks is in 80s dayglow colours
Still has York Cycleworks dealer sticker (respec to the old firm even though they didn't give me that job in '92 :D)

It's generally dusty and tatty with surface corrosion showing through the original paint and various manky replacement components. Having read around this forum the last few days the shame of this is almost more than I can bear. :oops: But not quite. :roll: Underneath the basics are all there and in surprisingly good shape (has seen no use for 15 years and led a gentle life before that).

Might be an interesting project for someone?

Hi there,

without pics (a picture tells a lot of words apparently, I forget just how many) I would guess at 1989 ish, not much help I know, however it being a small frame, and a U brake model - making it older, I would be interested in the bike as fixer-upper if you were looking at moving it on, and you were close enough.

The 24" wheel thing is interesting too by the way....

Sounds like a 1988 rockhopper comp from the paint job and spec, the decals would have had yellow text and pink splash behind it , the comp decal sits near the back of the toptube and is just yellow.

The only bit that throws me is the wheel size? - Are you measuring the rims? the 26 should include the tyre too. Or perhaps it came with small wheels in the smaller sizes.

like this but in colour :)

RHcomp.jpg

Sounds plausible, the remaining decals are on the head tube and seat tube and they are a fluoro yellow S in front of a purple/pink background. Another sticker says CrMo made in Taiwan :(

Paint job and spec looks a good match for that photo

Definitely 24" wheels, don't have the knowledge of many on here but that much I can be pretty confident of :D

It's a very small frame, purchased because it was a good fit for my 4' 11" wife Becky, but is so long we ended up putting a very short flat SR stem from a racer on it. It also has a zoom headset mounted cable hanger for the front brake, no idea if this is original kit.

We both have mixed feelings about the bike because I showed Becky how to remove the qr front wheel in order to lock it up safely but didn't pay enough attention to how to reattach it safely. Consequently she had a major face-plant when she lost the front wheel having got some air over a sleeping policeman and ended up in casualty with 17 stitches in her face, spinal problems and subsequent corrective cosmetic surgery. :shock: :(

Anyway, a long time ago now and the scars, physical and mental, are rarely noticeable. Apologies if that's TMI. :oops:

Rockhopper

Hi mate
Yeah, I agree with above as it sounds definately the same as a 88 judging by the colour description and the U brake. I have a pic of one if I can find it I will put it up to confirm with you.
The 24 inch wheel was a option on several years, I have mainly seen it on Stumpjumpers but due to the frames being mainly larger sizes up till about 89, they sometimes made 24 inch versions. I have only really seen them on an 83 and 86 version but was told they were done in limited numbers throughout.
The smaller versions are generally handbuilt and some came better built than their larger siblings due to this. I have a 13.5 and it is tange prestige 'light' and handmade.
Good for those like myself that are vertically challenged ;)
Build, ride and take a pic :D
Jamie

Thanks Jamie, I'm now starting to think about the bits I need and all the tools I don't have

It's seriously tempting to gradually work my way up to it :D

Not sure what the tubeset is on this one, just says DB CrMo Taiwan

Giving this more thought and bearing in mind a very tight budget I'd be keeping all the stuff in the OP list. I won't be worrying about a full period rebuild, just something that looks good and goes well, adding following early 90s leftovers:

marin lite bar + grips
SS7s
possibly x-lite 'ends if she likes them
+ inappropriate 99 WTB saddle

and buying:

stem
front wheel
tyres
chain
frame & forks recon

Could be a suitably low-key and unambitious job :LOL:

Back