BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Is it a 27.0?

Can other sizes be used if 'shimmed' or is this not an ideal way forward?

Cheers

It`s 27.0.
27.2 should fit, too if you use enogh grease, dont plan to change seat height that often or dont mind a scratched post.

Shimming is indeed not ideal but could work for 25.4 posts if you use a long shim.
A too short shim could end up in a snapping weld at the seat tube-top tube junction as the seat tube will lack the support given by a post with the right diameter.

phoenixinflames":dxngp8ns said:
It`s 27.0.
27.2 should fit, too if you use enogh grease, dont plan to change seat height that often or dont mind a scratched post.

Shimming is indeed not ideal but could work for 25.4 posts if you use a long shim.
A too short shim could end up in a snapping weld at the seat tube-top tube junction as the seat tube will lack the support given by a post with the right diameter.

I think I'll stick with 27 then, thanks for your reply :)

Kona say 27.0, but they say that also for the 97 Kilauea, which I believe has the same seat tube and I find a 27.0 is too small for the Kilauea and a 27.2 is perfect. If you- find that a 27.0 falls down the tube under gravity, as mine will, then it's too small.

I would think a shim would be fine, especially a USE thermoplastic one, which protects the frame to some extent. A post that is too small and is held only by extreme clamping forces will put the frame under far more strain than a well-fitting shim will.

my o-beam 27.0 post fitted a dream in my kilauea, but i tried a thomson 27.2 post and that fitted the same no tighter at all. so if your after an aftermeerkat seatpost id go for 27.2 as there are loads to choose from :)

my 27.0 is a tad slack in my kilauea, but a 27.2 i tried wouldnt even go in...

Anthony":1pomfotu said:
Kona say 27.0, but they say that also for the 97 Kilauea, which I believe has the same seat tube and I find a 27.0 is too small for the Kilauea and a 27.2 is perfect. If you- find that a 27.0 falls down the tube under gravity, as mine will, then it's too small.

I experienced that with a lot of Kona frames. The seat tubes seem to get narrower to the bottom. As long as you dont insert the post that much, 27.2 is fine.
If you want to insert a 425mm post let`s say half of its length from time to time, 27.0 is the size to go.

phoenixinflames":3798y4ly said:
Anthony":3798y4ly said:
I experienced that with a lot of Kona frames. The seat tubes seem to get narrower to the bottom. As long as you dont insert the post that much, 27.2 is fine.
If you want to insert a 425mm post let`s say half of its length from time to time, 27.0 is the size to go.
As the tube comes out of the mill, it has a constant width all the way down to the butted length at the bottom. However it still requires reaming, and depending on how rough the inside of the tube is, it may require a lot or a little. And depending on how far down the tube the operator reams, the aperture might get widened a long way down or not such a long way down. So there are variations, and another 97 Kilauea may not take the 27.2 post that mine does.

I think it's important not to fit a post that is too small, because that places too much strain on the small area at the clamp. It's more important to get that right than it is to follow Kona's instructions.

Back