Decent 1-1/8" headset with minimal stackheight?

Senri

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This morning I crashed on a downhill and next to busting my knee, I also broke my SR Suntour forks:
DSCN3148s.jpg

I was already planning to replace this, now only a bit sooner!!! :LOL:
Anyway, I have a Marzocchi Z3 in decent condition, but the steerer is a bit short. Now I am looking to replace the headset as well, but with one with a minimum stackheight. Any recommendations??

cane creek do a small one , i have one but not for sale..... :)

i'll check to see if it has a model number on it when i get home....

[assuming you mean a normal on] Ritchey WCS are quite short (28mm) and pretty nice.

but how short is short ?, you may find it easier or necessary to have a shorter stack height stem.

Well, I guess I need both. I have checked the height now and with a new headset with 26mm stackheight (like the CaneCreek S2 or S3) and removing the spacer rings, the steerer would still be 10mm below the top of the stem. I find this a bit to much, but my stem is 40mm high, so I will exchange that too.

Earlier Z3s have a replaceable steerer, new ones are available.
It's good advice about the stem, also consider fitting a Campagnolo road headset. They are very, very well made and have one of the lowest stack heights.

hamster":tadxht02 said:
Earlier Z3s have a replaceable steerer, new ones are available.
It's good advice about the stem, also consider fitting a Campagnolo road headset. They are very, very well made and have one of the lowest stack heights.

CaneCreek do one (AER with 20mm stack), but if you can bend your forks on a downhill, I wouldn't like to see what happens to a road low stack height headset.

Latest posts

Back