New commuter

rigiddaddy

Retro Newbie
Just finished building a new commuter bike. Based on a 1994 Kona Fire Mountain.

Yes I know you purists will chastise me for getting rid of the original paintwork and the use of some out of era parts. Paintwork was however beyond repair and frame was starting to rust. As for the parts - I got bored waiting to source stuff so eventually used some stuff lying around in the garage.

First ride to work on it today. Rides very well but narrow bars and cantis will take some getting used to - I had forgotten how rubbish canti brakes are!

Anyway thought I would post picture to give you the opportunity to view/comment/criticise etc.

Attachments

• 2007_0106(001).JPG
    2007_0106(001).JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,874
I rather like that (except for the red chainset obviously) but like you say, anything to get it rideable..

If like me you've never ridden a disk brake bike Canti's seem fine... bit like braking in an old VW Beatle, all about preparation..

I like old Kona's - they are simply nice riding bikes :D

Some Canti's are better than others though :? - and those look like the Curve ones that came on Kona's in 96 or 97 (I think). They were a bit pants :LOL: - try setting the straddle as low as you can as that seemed to help...

I also found changing the lever helped - I think that was most of the problem due to where the pivot was ;)

Yes - sorry about the red chainset. Nice middleburn rings but just not on this bike. I will change when a suitable replacement is available.

Thanks for tips on the cantis - I will have a fiddle around with them.

Bike is set up as 8 speed when I guess it really should have been 7 and with gripshift instead of thumbies. I am loving the gripshift though. I had a old Cannondale M300 with gripshift back in the day(1994?)!

Good to see more people supporting the 1994s. Also glad to see you kept the P2s on them. The red looks good, I think.

Did those Gripshift and wheels arrive at your work place in the same box per chance? ;)

Glad to see them put to good use!

I'm not a big fan of Konas (tee hee) but they are 'timeless'. That looks like a bike that could be sold today, despite being years old.

And I like the red chainset.

Yes Stick Legs - same box!

Wheels true and gripshoft slick so thanks for those.

Why did grip shift go out of fashion? I have decided I quite like them. Particularly the ability to 'fine tune' the front mech position on the move to avoid annoying grinding noises in certain gears.

Latest posts

Back