Curved Araya rims?? Solved!!

Senri

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
On one of my latest projects I thought the rims were toast, so I was actually looking for some replacements. The wheels are Deore DX hubs with Araya rims (1990). The rims have first a more or less flat spot and then seem to curve outward towards the edge of the rim. I thought they were actually worn down that much, till someone suggested it could be original. Inspecting a bit closer, the rims look pretty smooth and I would like to keep them original, if possible.
Anybody know if this sounds normal?

Campag used to do this on their rims and I think Araya did on their later ones, but I always thought the early ones where basically big bmx rims and were definitely flat sided

This is my campag rim, you can clearly see the curve. If it looks in good condition then I would suggest it's normal, otherwise there would be stress/crack marks at the very least!

SNC12723.JPG

EDIT: :oops: learn to read all the thread first b4 posting :LOL:

araya rm 400 pros were curved on the side walls.i had a pair on my team issue prestige shogun bitd ...lovely shiny rims ....sniffle theiving scum ...ill get you one day... :twisted:

I'm so glad I read this thread :shock: I've got a pair of XC pro hubs on Araya rm 400 pro rims which came off a low mileage bike so I was always a little confused by how worn they seemed :roll:

Just checked them properly and its obvious their not now :cool:

I know exactly what you mean, only my bike is a high milage, neglected bike, so you can understand my first conclusion.

Back