1997 Kona Explosif cable routing issue....

KeepItSteel

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have just got hold of a 97 Kona Explosif frame but am having issues running a cable to the rear mech.

No matter how I affix the cable guide to the bottom bracket I cant stop the cable either contacting the rear tyre and/or making contact with the downtube.

The only cable boss is on the left side of the downtube, therefore the cable has to cross the downtube diagonally before turning at the bottom bracket and along the right chain stay.

The guy I bought the frame from says to pack out the cable guide to stop the cable hitting the frame or use an inner cable sheath to protect the paintwork from the cable as it rubs against the downtube.

I struggle to believe that this was Kona's answer back in 97?, but perhaps due to the bi-ovalized tubing there will be inevitable contact?

Does anyone know any different or have any thoughts?

That seems a bit strange to me! :? Do you have any pics?

Have you got the correct cable guide and if so is it the right way round?

ill try adding pics soon if no-one can give me a logical explanation, ive tried the cable guide in all positions, but im fairly certain I now have it in the correct place/right way round, I have even compared it to a photo requested of another 97 frame (Kilauea) which appears to be in the same position as mine.

It is strange...and frustrating! Surely the cable shouldnt touch the downtube?

I have come across a few cases where the cable comes close to the downtube but never touching it. Also the cable touching the tyre seems odd. Are the tyres original? Maybe they're too big? :?

sorry-let me try and be clear.

in trying to determine which way round to fit the cable guide (there are 4 possible positions) a couple positions were obviously wrong as the cable fouled the rear tyre (2.1 onza porcs) , in the remaining 2 positions the cable still hits the downtube.

Im assured I have the correct cable guide and it also seems to match the picture I have of another 1997 Kona cable guide on the Kilauea

Im mainly wondering if this is a commonly known issue, or perhaps even if there is a one year only cable guide that I dont have?.....

You use the drive-side channel in the plastic guide on the bb, so there should be no question of the cable touching the tyre. [The elongated part of the guide should face backwards, it's for a down-pull front mech]

The cable is intended to cross the down tube. Having the cable stop on the left means that the natural curvature of the outer takes it away from the head tube and avoids the loss of paint that most people suffer. That's why it was designed this way.

I agree that on the Explosif the cable stop is mounted a little too far off-centre, but I suggest you use plenty of rubber donuts to protect the frame http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=6273

Thanks Anthony, I completely agree and concur with the correct fitment of the guide. I realised that the other channel on the guide was for a down pull front mech.

My main concerns were - is there another year only cable guide, if not, why did Kona seemingly bodge the route to the rear mech?!

Surely it is bad practice to have any cable coming into contact with the frame? Doughnuts may help cure the problem of scratching the frame but it seems like a clumsy solution to me - for such a nice frame

makes me love my Explosif 3% less

I don't disagree, but in my experience cable rub on the head tube is a far far worse problem. I've had my 97 Kilauea since 1998 and the cable touches the down tube half way down, but it hasn't damaged the paint noticeably. And you should really use rubber donuts in any case, as the cables still slap the frame in use even if they clear it when stationary.

I do agree though that the ovalising on the Explosif exacerbates the problem, and it would have been better to mount the stops more centrally. Bear in mind that the 95 and 96 Explosifs had the same down tube and both cables running down it, so the cables were intended to cross and the problem was doubled, but I still think that donuts protect the frame well enough. I admit though that most 95 and 96 owners use the opposite cable stops and either put frame protector on the head tube or accept damage. Either of which looks worse than donuts to my eye.

Once you've built it up, I hope you might find that other factors distract your attention from these problems and that you will like it 3% more. We'll look forward to a photo or two.

Back