The broken frames thread!

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
We havent done this one before...

What frames have you all broken in your time MTBing? Not really interested in "what you've SEEN broken" but what stuff HAVE you broken..

Picture evidence would be great if anyone has any to support your story...

Cracked%20Egg%20200.jpg

Nice idea for a thread Jezza.

Bugs me when I hear people indicating brand x or brand y always busts because they once saw a picture of a damaged frame in MBUK 15 years ago :evil: If you crash anything hard enough it will break.

So, what have I bust. Not much really.

Bent the frame on a Raleigh Mirage by hitting a tree
Bent the frame on an already dodgy Shogun Prarie Breaker Pro or Team or something
Bent the frame on a Merckx Corsa Extra by hitting a car
Had to warranty an old lugged carbon specialized allez road frame when the laquer starting lifting and effecting the carbon underneath.

92 s-works steel (chainstay to BB crack)
92 fat chance titanium (crack in downtube)
94 klein fervor (crack back seattube)

frames I've seen in the flesh broken is waaay long
pace RC100 (3 of em) kona kila-blah-blah, explosif, GT STS, AMP B3 & B4, rocky mountain ETS, klein attitude, manitou hardtail (3 in 1 day @ the plymouth grundig). will edit & add more as I remeber :LOL: (yeh I know you asked for frames you'd broken yourself... I just couldnt help myself :LOL: )

Never broken a frame (fingers crossed!), future brother-in-law managed to crack a GT RTS all the way round the bottom bracket....one more heavy landing and it would have been nasty :shock:

I broke an Alpinestars Easton alloy ATAC-a-like stem.....but then again who hasn't ;)

Stu

Crashed into a tree and snapped a pair of 1992 Cannondale PEPPERONNI forks, the steerer tube stayed in the frame and rest of the fork stay with the wheel hung by the brake cable.
The same crash must have afected the frames head tube because after a few months of use with a new fork the bottom headset started coming lose.

I broke a Zaskar LE 98 .

One crack at the junction of downtube and heat tube , and top tube and seat tube .

Dont really know when i ddi it , but one day a branch got stuck in my front wheel . it broke 3 spokes and bent a few more .

I was just lucky not to be thrown away .

Never really broke a frame before,

Manitou frame headtube cracked but everyone knows thats not the owners fault :roll: .

DSC00663.jpg

and a pair of tange bigforks I had on my trek 8700 pro cracked at the weld, but this was replaced by trek cos they already knew about the fault :?

A merc sportscar coming towards me turned right straight in front of me.

He had to have new panels down the entire side of his car (serves him right). Me: luckily walked away but needed a new bike. It was an old road bike (name I forget, but it was black). Front wheel tacoed, frame was bent big time, impact on headtube bent top tube and down tube of the frame. If you imagine pushing the front wheel towards the bottom bracket, the frame bends just behind the headtube. BB shell was skewed down to the right.

Reported it to the local police, he admitted it, but then denied all knowledge, local cop shop mysteriously lost the paperwork too. (At the time I was too shocked to get witnesses, walked the four miles home carrying the remains of the bike) Luckily my old man had connections with higher ranking police (special handshake brigade). The driver very swiftly bought me a new bike once words had been said, seems he was ex-force. Naughty naughty

oh god i broke tons

worst kona sex too (1995) tore the seat post stays off and blew the shock learning to jump doubles.., frame still sits in my mates garden after 10 years!!!

and tange switch bladed snapped clean in half after leaning to front hop.

the rest was modern stuff (ish)

The only one I've properly broken was a rented Trek I rented to ride the slickrock at Moab. Ruined my day, the down tube just snapped clean about an inch down from the headset. I was riding up hill at the time, so I guess the frame had just been abused and gave up the ghost. I can't remember the model number, but it was an alloy frame, maybe a 6000? I'm sure I've got a picture somewhere ...

Back