bottom bracket for singlespeed

plain lazy

Dirt Disciple
I am building up a singlespeed but have not got the bottom bracket. As singlespeeding puts greater forces through the crank, should i opt for a beefier BB, something designed for freeriding over a light weight XC or wont it matter. This is my first singlespeed attempt so i'm green on the subject. oH and while i'm here, does anyone wanna sell me a 1. 1/4 quill stem.

cheers

Mark

Personally I use a steel BB axle for SS. It doesn't have to be a freeride/DH BB though (mine's a Middleburn cromo).

The cost and weight saving for the Ti ones aren't really worth it. That plus Ti is more fragile than steel anyway (most Ti BB manufacturers will state a max rider weight limit). Besides as you're dumping all the gears an extra 150g in the BB won't make much difference anyway. ;)

Any part of a SS drivetrain should be as strong as you can get it, don't go lightweight whatever you do. Steel is your friend ;)

I've had Ti and it was fine...but steel is good enough.
What you havn't mentioned is the type of BB you are using.
Surely square taper ;)

Does singlespeeding put the drivetrain under more stress?

Whats the difference between a fit rider pushing a 32/16 gear up a hill on a geared bike and a singlespeeder pushing a 32/16 up a hill?

Be interested to know if there is any data on this.

^^what he said^^

I suspect it **feels** like it's harder work, but actually it isn't.
I'd say steel over Ti for a bottom bracket anyway, though.

I have an inch and quarter nos boxed control tech quill stem i'm about to put on ebay. Its quite long- 140 from memory. Looking for 22 quid posted if you are interested

Bog standard shimano sealed b/b, in the appropriate length . B/Bs fitted to my stock single speeders have been lowish quailty oem generic efforts - never had a problem.

Russell":3ui291by said:
Does singlespeeding put the drivetrain under more stress?

Whats the difference between a fit rider pushing a 32/16 gear up a hill on a geared bike and a singlespeeder pushing a 32/16 up a hill?

Be interested to know if there is any data on this.

This is something I have wondered for a while. :?: :idea:

I suppose if anything, you might occasionally use more torque to get up the hill in that single gear where you'd wimp out n change down. All I can come up with.

Back