Cheap powder coating in Derby - £25 for frame and forks

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Derwent Enamellers (just near me) offer frame and forks for £25. This includes degreasing, sticker removal etc. They only have a limited range of colours (around 10 or so), inc. yellow, red, blue, black, silver, goldy/yellow etc. They could do other colours but would need at least 3 frames to make it worth their while getting the powder in.

Seems good value. I'm going to try them out probably soon, will let you know how it goes.

thats good , cheapest ive seen was years ago in Exeter for £30

does it include the clear ?

over the top . normally they leave it matt unless you specify a glossy finish , a mate had a frame done years ago and went mental when he picked it up and it was matt :LOL:

might just be certain colours ( his was beige ) i had mine done black and was fine , might have added to his anger :LOL:

worth asking to save a 2nd trip and time

ok - good point. He showed me a bit he'd done on a piece of metal and it was gloss... I'll ask if/when I go though.

out of interest can the n*ked look be done?

yes, keep us updated. I was looking for somewhere to powder coat a frame in Derby just yesterday! found Derwent enamellers but didn't have time to call them. Will be interested to see how you fare!

well I haven't decided yet if I'm going to do it, but they were very friendly and helpful (ask for Wayne). They showed me some frames that were about to go in, and they said a local bike shop uses them regularly.

I look forward to seeing the results. It would be good to know there's someone local that can be trusted.

Do an interview with them when you're there, do they do different media types, can they dip alloy frames etc? Take your camera :)

I found another powder coater near the big Sainsbury's / old B&Q but can't find their details now :roll:

I asked about aluminium frames and they said they did them - got the impression it was shot blasting (of some type - I'm no expert!) - they didn't mention dipping. Didn't see any sort of tank when I was in there.

Back