Hi new to this, need some help with my 96 kona hahanna

d851

Retro Newbie
Hi all , I haven't done any mountain biking for around 10 years, but have recently decided to give it another go.

I've decided to do a bit of work on my old hahanna (1996, gold), to see if i get the bug again before splashing out on a new bike.

The kona is in really good conditon, most parts are originals, i think i've only upgraded the headset (lx threaded) and crankset (LX), i'm pretty much sure everything else is orginal.

I plan on changing the forks to either a retro set of xc ( if i can find anythat will fit) or a newer light xc set

Upgrading the brakes to a decent set of v brakes

New wheels and tyres

Thats all really, have a little cash to spend doing it up.

I dont really know anything about these threadless headset's, as i'm used to the old threaded ones, will my bike take one ? if so are they easy to fit ? what type would be best?

If i bought some forks what length steering tube would i need? i'm
assuming its a 1 1/8th dia

Would i need to get new handle bars etc... if i change the fork / headset setup ? as it still has the originals on

What 'v' brakes would be appropiate ? shimano LX ? do they still make them ? lol

any advice/help/info apprecihated

Thanks d851

Yes it'll take a threadless headset. I find them easy to fit and I'm a cretin, but some people let the LBS do it. I would stick to a basic headset myself. I bought a M-Part for my daughter's bike and it's very good - the only difference I can see between that and a bling one is that it hasn't got a bling name on it.

You want your steerer to be c8cm longer than the head tube, or longer as they're easy to cut. You should be able to find a 90s Marzocchi, Z3 or something, easily enough. You don't want too much travel (such as a modern fork) or you might not like the slacker head angle.

The bars will be fine, but you'd need a new stem obviously (beware, most of them now are for 31.8 bars and yours is a 25.4) I prefer Avid Vs to Shimano myself, but again you can find 90s ones on eBay easily and they will look better on a 96 frame than new ones.

You might find the new wheels the best upgrade - Merlin Cycles, hand-built with db spokes, can't be beaten for value. Closely followed by spd pedals.

Latest posts

Back