Caustic soda experts help needed!

Dr.Robotnik

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

I need your advice on whether this is a good idea or not. I have a red faded Hope Ti front hub and would like to strip the anodizing with caustic soda or something similar. However as it is bonded to the Ti centre section I wondered, will this be ok? Or will it destroy the Ti or the connection between the alloy flanges and the Ti....

Please help.

Cheers

Ed

hmm dont take my word for it but im sure caustic soda is whats used to remove rust from chrome frames and that doesnt dissolve stickers and as its drain cleaner it doesnt ruin rubber seals or my plug :LOL:

it could be ok but id research a bit more first

the problem could be more the loss of a smidgen of alloy and that gives the glue less to stick to

perry":2dzrhxf3 said:
hmm dont take my word for it but im sure caustic soda is whats used to remove rust from chrome frames and that doesnt dissolve stickers and as its drain cleaner it doesnt ruin rubber seals or my plug :LOL:

it could be ok but id research a bit more first

the problem could be more the loss of a smidgen of alloy and that gives the glue less to stick to

Thanks Perry but please don't ever use this to remove rust as you'll most likely wreck the chrome. Rust remover for chrome is either Citric Acid Powder, White Vinegar or Oxycilic acid.

I am worried about a smidgen of alloy lost from the join between the Ti and the flanges and how this will if at all affect the hub when I use caustic soda (or any other chemical strip).

greenstiles":2dzrhxf3 said:
Liquid oven cleaner gets most anodizing off.............wear gloves and don't inhale !

Cheers greenstiles, caustic soda is the active ingredient in most oven cleaners so I know what to use, I am just wondering how it will affect the composite fabrication of the hub.

Anyone else have any ideas?

thats the one i was thinking of , oxalic acid

maybe mix some quite strong in a pot and use an old tooth brush to apply and rinse under the tap . you could keep it away from the ti , glue and the bearing surfaces inside that way

perry":35ap6g01 said:
thats the one i was thinking of , oxalic acid

maybe mix some quite strong in a pot and use an old tooth brush to apply and rinse under the tap . you could keep it away from the ti , glue and the bearing surfaces inside that way

I think that's the method I'll go for. I'll take some Ti from work and give it a test dip too.

I might try masking off with an inner tube and some electrical tape, though I wouldn't see anything going wrong if I used this method...

BTW I am pretty sure they aren't glued rather machined to tight tolerances and then heated/cooled respectively and mated, tout suite. :shock: When cooled they become one.

Maybe you could paint the parts you want to protect with hot wax and then use the cleaner as wax is acid resistant ?

Back