FIXED! classic bike down - crank spider lockring - LX

noworktoday

Dirt Disciple
today's fun in the sun was ruined before I even got the old 'hopper into the car.

Having recently put magura's on it I went for a short round the block ride on tarmac. Front shifting all gone to pot. Poking about reveals that the chainrings are all floating i.e. they are all tight on the spider but the spider is loose on the cranks! WTF? think I

Closer inspection reveals there is a lockring on the back of the spider which has unscrewed....

What tool do I need to tighten it up? It's a Shimano FC-M569 (which I think is old LX) crankset. Where might I get one from?

Can it be done in situ or, as it looks on first inspection, will I have to whip the crank off?

LBS job or DIY job? (prefer DIY but sometimes the tools cost more than my LBS doing it)

LX crank it is ( if it helps, little differance to XT version )

Crank off ( in itself no big deal, assuming you have the tools).

Sounds like one of those jobs where the tool will cost more than handing it to the LBS.Either way, the spider will need to be tightened up properly

all hail the park tool crank extractor, must have taken at least 45 seconds to get it off. degreased and cleaned up; taking it to LBS tomorrow.

One LBS, knowing my preference for DIY, says a Park BBT 18 (or the older BBT 8 ) and a big adjustable spanner (tool has an octagonal head) will do the job....

... and the word is once done, even with loctite, it will need to be done again, and again.

LBS, Freeborn of Horsham, torqued it up avec Loctite in two minutes for free using a BB tool once they had all stood and had a good "I've never seen one like that before! What is it?" look.

bought a gratitube

gratitube - nice phrase, never heard that one before - take it to mean showing thanks for a favour by buying an inner tube which I'm led to believe is a bike shops highest marked up item?

Back